Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: #32 Mount Passaconaway 10/28/10

Thanks

Default #32 Mount Passaconaway 10/28/10

Hoping to add a new 4000 footer to our list, we opted for the challenge of Mount Passaconaway.
    Reaching the trailhead for the Olivarian Brook Trail at 8:30, we strolled along the first two miles meeting up with the Passaconaway Cut-Off Trail.

At that point we came upon the only inconvenient stream crossing for the day. As there was no apparent easy way to cross we bush wacked about 50 yards upstream to scoot across a wet blow down.

The trail continued at an easy to moderate grade until the Square Ledge Trail. After negotiating several blow downs and steep rocky grades on the Walden Trail, it was easy going once the plateau was reached.

A little black dog came towards us from the opposite direction, startling us a bit, as it looked like a bear cub. We met up with the owner at the East Lookout.

We took the three tenths trail (right) to the viewpoint North Outlook soaking in more breathtaking views.

After reaching the summit we headed back and ran into the only other hikers of the day, a NH couple (Tinkerbell and her husband).

At the intersection of the Walden and Square Ledge Trails, Michael cleared out a large blow down blocking the trail. Exhausting as it was, now he needed a caffeine fix.

We finished up the hike at 5 pm.

10.6 miles with 3000? elevation gain. This was a nice accomplishment to end our vacation.

Now we are looking forward to winter hiking.

Here is the slideshow: http://jimmylegs.smugmug.com/photos/...76787530_hJ4e9

Mike and Donna

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jimmy Legs and Little d For This Useful Post:

FisherCat (11-04-2010), KathyC (11-09-2010)

Thanks

Anyone who knocks out a blowdown while hiking is OK in my book! Way to go guys, and when do you return?
    "LIVE FREE OR DIE...DEATH IS NOT THE WORST OF ALL EVILS." Gen. John Stark. "by reason of much foule weather and Extreme Bad Woods to travel in..." From the letter of my Great Uncle, Samuel Willard (accompanied by my grandfather Henry), to Governor Dummer on August 16, 1725, explaining the reason for his return, being instructed to "range all the country", of the Wawobadenik (White Mountains) July 19-August 16, 1725. I am a 13th generation New Englander and proud of it.

Thanks

Another great trip report guys. You guys were very busy.

Great views with minimal traffic is always great.

Again, thanks for sharing!

Karl

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Legs and Little d View Post
    . . . we came upon the only inconvenient stream crossing for the day.
    Love the positive attitude that your wording conveys . . . it wasn't a dastardly, nor a dreadful stream crossing, but rather just an "inconvenient" crossing.

Glad you guys were able to bag another 4K peak!
    //////////////////////////////////////////////////
    John

My Blogs:

http://1happyhiker.blogspot.com/
    http://2small2bbig.blogspot.com/

My Facebook Page:
    http://www.facebook.com/1HappyHikerNH

Thanks

A very nice final hike for your vacation! You certainly made good use of your time up there. Loved reading all of your TRs.

Maybe if we get some snow down this way, we can connect for another hike?
    Bob

I never want to see a day
    That's over forty degrees
    I'd rather have it thirty,
    Twenty, ten, five and let it freeeeEEEEEEeeze!

My Seek the Peak 2013 Photo Set

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FisherCat View Post
    Anyone who knocks out a blowdown while hiking is OK in my book! Way to go guys, and when do you return?
    Thanks for the compliment. I always try to clear debris from the trail whenever I can. That blowdown was pretty well rotten and once I kicked it a few times it broke apart and then it was just a matter of throwing the chuncks of wood to the side of the trail. We will be returning to New Hampshire around mid February or early March. We will have to join up with Snow Miser to do a hike in Pennsylvania before then.

Mike

Thanks

Thank you for another wonderful TR Mike and Donna.I'll be looking forward to your Winter ones with all the photos of the beautiful snow covered hills and mountains.

Thanks

Congrats on #32. Getting close now. I definitely agree with Scott. If we all just did a little trail care while we were out there it would be much better for us all (and the trail crews could concentrate on the more serious maintenance tasks). Way to go guys.
    Mark

Keep close to Nature's heart...
    and break clear away, once in awhile,
    and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods.
    Wash your spirit clean. - John Muir

Hiking photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/mtruman42
    Hiking Blog: http://theramblingsblog.blogspot.com/
    Seek the 2011 Peak page: Mark Truman's Pledge Page

Thanks

John,
    Thanks! There was a bit more narrative that was omitted. The blowdown was wet, and as I stood up with soaking wet pants once I reach the other side, you can only imagine what I said.

Donna

Thanks

KARL: We try to get the most from each trip since we are limited in our time in New Hampshire. By the way, we toured the Pumpkin People Contest in Jackson and found our favorite to be Alice In Pumpkinland. Did you see that one?

BOB and ANNA: We were pleased in getting at least 1 more off the 48 list. So glad you came along with us and look forward to the winter as much as you do. Maybe, we can join you next time you do a hike such as Bear Mountain. Keep us in mind.

MARK:
    Our long term plan for finishing the 48 is 5 years; give or take a year.
    Maybe one day we'll adopt a trail.

Once again, a big thanks to all.

Donna