Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A 9 year old on Everest?

Thanks

Default A 9 year old on Everest?

Ok, I did think the 13 year old could do it....but a 9 year old? Didn't Jordan have more experience?

http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/asiapc....html?hpt=Sbin

Thanks

I thought about this the other day when I was reading it on an Everest blog.

IMHO, I think that the 9 year old, being the son of a Nepalese Sherpa, is much more genetically disposed for such conditions that Jordan is. He's also born into a culture that has more experience with this mountain than any other.

When Jordan first announced he was going to do Everest, my thoughts were that it MUST be harmful to such a young developing brain. However, after discussions with a close friend that work in the medical field, she pointed out to me that a younger brain is much more resilient and able to repair/adapt to any damage than our old gray mellons. So, if anything, we should be more worried about the folks trying for the "oldest climber" records.
    Summit Club Member
    Seek the Peak 11
    Seek the Peak 10: Lions Head/Tuckermans Ravine
    Seek the Peak 09: Boot Spur (redux)
    Seek the Peak 08: Huntington Ravine
    Seek the Peak 07: Tuckermans Ravine/Lions Head
    My 48: Washington (07/07, 07/08, 07/09, 09/09, 07/10), Lafayette (08/08, 08/09), Lincoln (08/08, 08/09), Pierce (07/10), Carrigain (09/10), Cannon (10/10), Jackson (11/10), Field (11/10), Tom (01/11)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueDog For This Useful Post:

Charlie (11-10-2010)

Thanks

Good point, his being a Sherpa is definitely a plus. I hope he gets another peak or two before going to the Big E.

Thanks

My bet is he'll be fine and probably will run up the mountain. He practically lives at altitude already. Like Bluedog said, his brain is still developing and will develop out of any damage done. Good luck, buddy!
    ~Rich

Thanks

9 years of adaptation must be long enough

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDog View Post
    I thought about this the other day when I was reading it on an Everest blog.

IMHO, I think that the 9 year old, being the son of a Nepalese Sherpa, is much more genetically disposed for such conditions that Jordan is. He's also born into a culture that has more experience with this mountain than any other.

When Jordan first announced he was going to do Everest, my thoughts were that it MUST be harmful to such a young developing brain. However, after discussions with a close friend that work in the medical field, she pointed out to me that a younger brain is much more resilient and able to repair/adapt to any damage than our old gray mellons. So, if anything, we should be more worried about the folks trying for the "oldest climber" records.
    So, I guess I should call off my attempt.
    Brad (a 6288 club member)
    http://bradstreet.zenfolio.com Personal Photo sales site
    http://public.fotki.com/bradbradstreet Personal photo web site
    http://public.fotki.com/MWO/saved/2012/ MWO image & video archive site 2006-2012

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Brad For This Useful Post:

Anna LeBlanc (12-04-2010)

Thanks

Growing up at that altitude and climate his body at 9 years old is probably better conditioned for the climb that most 20 year old men. I think it will be like a "walk in the park" for him.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Brad View Post
    So, I guess I should call off my attempt.
    But then you'll miss out on the never-to-be-outdone photo op for the "Where has your STP fleece been?" thread!
    Summit Club Member
    Seek the Peak 11
    Seek the Peak 10: Lions Head/Tuckermans Ravine
    Seek the Peak 09: Boot Spur (redux)
    Seek the Peak 08: Huntington Ravine
    Seek the Peak 07: Tuckermans Ravine/Lions Head
    My 48: Washington (07/07, 07/08, 07/09, 09/09, 07/10), Lafayette (08/08, 08/09), Lincoln (08/08, 08/09), Pierce (07/10), Carrigain (09/10), Cannon (10/10), Jackson (11/10), Field (11/10), Tom (01/11)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueDog For This Useful Post:

Anna LeBlanc (12-04-2010)

Thanks

Good on him, but I'm sure there are many more sherpas who have done this but it hasnt made it to press?

Thanks

Yeah, I agree with BlueDog. People living there are genetically adapt to the weather conditions there so it is easier for them to stay warmer etc.

But still pretty incredible though.