Car camped Friday night, 11/19, and headed back into town for some breakfast. Ended up getting a late start on the trail at about 8:30 am. The trail had about an inch of snow at the base so micro spikes were definitely on the agenda for majority of the hike up.
At about 3,900 feet the wind started to really pick up so we decided to get prepped for a surge to the summit. We ended up passing a lone climber who was geared up for a multi-day trek (so it appeared.) We asked if he had attempted to summit and he sat down and said "No, no man. Too scary." We briefly chatted and went on our way.
As we reached the hut, there were several guys working inside off of a generator (some off season work in sub - arctic temperatures.)
After we made our way past the hut, the wind really started to pick up. Visibility was poor, and it was difficult to sustain solid footing with the cramps on the rocks/rime ice as the wind was so strong. We stopped for about 15 seconds to vote yes or no as to try to make a dash for the summit and we decided to go, but play it safe and head down if the wind really picked up.
At approximately 5,050 ft, we were confident that gusts were reaching near 100 mph as it was beginning to be difficult to even crouch (and being blown over repeatedly.) We made the decision to call it quits and head down before we got in a situation where someone got hurt. We headed down, went into the open basement of the hut to replenish some calories and have a few laughs about the absurdity of the wind.
There was, however, one climber up in the clouds that we did see make it to the summit through the wind. We met up with him later and his response to getting through the wind was "That was a bitch on those rocks." ....Okay
All and all, a good attempt, however mother nature always wins. It is always better to be safe than sorry...and end the trip on a good note:
November Gray Jays: