Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: made it to the summit yea! 11/28 lions head trail update

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDog View Post
    Congrats! Looking to get my first MW winter climb in this year. Be very careful with starting to count the peaks! Its a very slippery trail. I've finally given in to the temptation and checked off #7 & 8 two weekends ago. A little tougher having to drive 12 hours just to get to the trail first.
    I agree Bluedog. I climbed my first this april (tecumseh) and I am trying to desperately to get to 24 by new years I'm at 19 dont knonw if i can find the time to bag 5 more in 30 days

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by vettechjamie View Post
    Hey tim to answer your question about trail cond below tree line.

The tuck ravine trail to the lions head split had about 1-2 inches of snow mostly packed by walking with mild spots of ice. and on the lions head tail it was about the same maybe 2-3 inches of snow with 3-4 spots of ice above the stairs i had screw boots and my grip was marginal. I would recc. either microspikes or smaller crampons.

Jamie
    thanks for the info & congrads again

-tim
    Last edited by smithtim; 11-30-2010 at 08:57 PM. Reason: spelling
    'when it starts to hurt your nearly halfway and probably should get out those ropes & put your crampons on"

Thanks

Blue dog you just have to take more time and do more 4,000 when you are up there. When you looking to winter climb Washington?? Might want to join you. Nothing better than Washington in winter. One side note I prefer either Lions Head or Ammo for my winter ascent. Not upto the challange of H.R. yet in winter.

Thanks

Hey Rex, not sure when yet. Guess it would have to be after the first of the year to really count as an "official" winter hike! I've yet to hike any route on the west side. Let me know when you think would be a good time.
    Summit Club Member
    Seek the Peak 11
    Seek the Peak 10: Lions Head/Tuckermans Ravine
    Seek the Peak 09: Boot Spur (redux)
    Seek the Peak 08: Huntington Ravine
    Seek the Peak 07: Tuckermans Ravine/Lions Head
    My 48: Washington (07/07, 07/08, 07/09, 09/09, 07/10), Lafayette (08/08, 08/09), Lincoln (08/08, 08/09), Pierce (07/10), Carrigain (09/10), Cannon (10/10), Jackson (11/10), Field (11/10), Tom (01/11)

Thanks

Default winter climbs begin after the winter solstis

Winter climbs 2010-2011 start on Dec. 21, 6:38 PM and end on Mar. 20, 7:21 PM pm so anytime during that they consider winter climbs and how is the winter route on lion head i have just done the summer route
    Jamie

http://www.amc4000footer.org/faq.htm#rules1
    Last edited by vettechjamie; 12-02-2010 at 01:46 AM.

Thanks

Congrats! Been thinking about giving it a shot myslef. Will see

Thanks

Not sure how you climbed via the lions head if it is currently closed? Can you still climb that way even though the summer route is still open?
    "Commitment is doing the thing you said you'd do, long after the mood you said it in has left you." - Bear Grylls' mother

Thanks

The Lions Head summer route indeed goes right by the rock outcropping known as Lions Head. The winter route is merely a bypass of the lower part of the summer route - going through terrain that is less avalanche prone.
    Tim

Thanks

I see, so both the summer and winter route refer to the Lions head trail and not Tuckerman's ravine trail? When I called and they said that the summer route was open and the winter route closed I had assumed they were saying the Lions head trail was closed. From the map I have I see that lions head bypasses going up through the ravine which during heavy snow accumulation would naturally be more avalanche prone. I guess I am confused as to what is truly meant when the winter route is said to be "closed". I see that during the summer the lions head trail can be a nice departure from the more crowded tuck's ravine trail, so I am thinking that you can still climb the lions head trail even though it is "closed"?
    Last edited by iceclimber; 12-18-2010 at 02:16 PM.
    "Commitment is doing the thing you said you'd do, long after the mood you said it in has left you." - Bear Grylls' mother

Thanks

From the Tuckerman Ravine Trail just before you get to Hermit shelter the two Lion Head trails head off to the right. One is used in the summer and the other is more suited for winter. So, at any one point, one of them is open and recommended for use. As Tim noted, the summer route is steep and prone to avalanches and falling ice and therefore not a great way of going up in the winter.

The summer route (in the summer) is a nice climb - steep at spots - not as crowded as going up the Headwall - and has great view spots even before getting above treeline.
    Brad (a 6288 club member)
    http://bradstreet.zenfolio.com Personal Photo sales site
    http://public.fotki.com/bradbradstreet Personal photo web site
    http://public.fotki.com/MWO/saved/2012/ MWO image & video archive site 2006-2012

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Brad For This Useful Post:

iceclimber (12-18-2010)