I am guessing for all locations @ 2.00 a shirt = 5000 shirts...
Summit Club member
I figured all locations. Maybe it would be expensive.
Summit Club member
From spending time on the summit as a volunteer, I know that the consumption of electricity is a big deal - apparently, it is quite expensive. I'm not privy to exact numbers, but I suspect that the electric bill for all locations in total is quite high. All the servers and other electronic equipment probably would generate a pretty big bill on their own, even w/o all the other stuff.
There are many things that you can do to help lighten my reindeers' load, and lighten the Observatory's financial load. You've already mentioned some of the significant tangible ways in which to do this - gift memberships, renewals, donations, and retail items - but there are many more, including some intangible ones...
1) For those of you on the forums who aren't already Observatory members, please join up! It is a gift to you, and to the Observatory...
2) Volunteering - help the observatory out in person, whether in the office, the Weather Discovery Center, at the summit, or at events...
3) Publicity - if you like what the Observatory does, help spread the word! Tell family, friends and colleagues about the Observatory and its mission. This can be done in person, or via Facebook and other means...
4) If you own any Observatory logo gear, and someone asks you about it while you are out and about, chat them up - tell them what the Observatory is and does, and why it is important!
5) And, if you're all out of gift ideas, and have someone very special left on your list, give them a Winter Daytrip! They'll enjoy it (and have many memories and stories to tell), you'll enjoy giving it, and it helps the Observatory too!
Some of my fondest memories are of my late night Christmas visits to the summit of Mt. Washington. The sights, sounds, and weather are impressive, even at night. Sometimes, I see Ryan struggling against the wind, going out to collect the precip can, but so far, he hasn't caught me in the act of making my Christmas deliveries (though, a few times, it has been very close!)!
The last I heard there were a few remaining tickets to the New Years Eve Extravaganza Overnight Soiree Special Deal Event. If you to give that something special, sign up for two - if there are any left.
Great ideas Brad, Bill and Santa! These truly are the gifts that keep on giving and I'll try to spread the word as well. Happy Holidays!!