Thread: Pulk Help

Thanks

Default Pulk Help

Hey all. Now that its pretty much winter and Im planning some cabin trips, I wanted to build up a pulk. While I am set with the sled design, I am not sure how one goes about pulling the pulk. Do you connect it to your pack, do you use a climbing harness? Ive seen countless people pulking around but never have looked at their method of towing.

Cheers

Thanks

Hadn't ever looked into that until you posted. A quick google search turn this link up in the top results showing a body harness that's used.

Granite Gear Expedition Pulk Sled
    Summit Club Member
    Seek the Peak 11
    Seek the Peak 10: Lions Head/Tuckermans Ravine
    Seek the Peak 09: Boot Spur (redux)
    Seek the Peak 08: Huntington Ravine
    Seek the Peak 07: Tuckermans Ravine/Lions Head
    My 48: Washington (07/07, 07/08, 07/09, 09/09, 07/10), Lafayette (08/08, 08/09), Lincoln (08/08, 08/09), Pierce (07/10), Carrigain (09/10), Cannon (10/10), Jackson (11/10), Field (11/10), Tom (01/11)

Thanks

or if you want to save a bit and not purcase a harness you can take a light rope and just make a harness with it: basically throw if over right shoulder, across chest and exit below left armit; then make a loop ( kind of an x across chest) by doing same idea but other direction starting left scholder.

Of course not the most comfortable but really depends on how far you are carrying
    'when it starts to hurt your nearly halfway and probably should get out those ropes & put your crampons on"

Thanks

I am looking to go from Pinkham to Tux

Thanks

Body harness is what you need I have one for boom lifts and that's what I use, but you may want to shop around for a comfortable harness. It has to be very comfortable or it will start to dig in some, so google and find a store near you.

Thanks

that's not to far, so should should be Ok if your not to carrying to much weight.... I've seen guys out there toting up their sleds with ski gear and what not bascially with just a rope tied around their waist ( don't think I'd recomend that though)

Most of this gear that compaies sell is more sell is more for comfort than necessity. I think the only "purcased new" stuff I've ever bought was crampons & axe, but of course if you want to spend the money I am sure the harness will make the day a bit easier

enjoy your time out there!
    'when it starts to hurt your nearly halfway and probably should get out those ropes & put your crampons on"

Thanks

BTW if you do the rope over shoulders thing and are carrying a backpack it helps to rig something up to keep the ropes right in line with the shoulder straps of your backpack so you'll avoid the ropes rubbing on your shoulders

Thanks

Default Pulk Design Video

Here's a link to an excellent video about building an untimate pulk.

http://www.geartalkwithjasonklass.co...rt-1.html#more

Mike
    "If you can't find time to fix it right, when will you find time to fix it again."