Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on Introductions?

Thanks

Default Thoughts on Introductions?

What does everybody think of the introduction / hello threads that are often started in the general discussion area? Are they productive, do legitimate posters actually use them?

Personally, I find them fairly useless. If you want to post, just post. No need to come in doing cartwheels and leaving a one sentence "Hi everyone!" type post. On top of that, they are a gold mine for spammers. All new forum members need to have to their first post approved by a moderator. It's very easy to automatically enter these benign looking posts for easy approval, thus granting freedom to the rest of the forum.
    Bill
    Next up: Vermont City Marathon: May, 2011
    EasternLight

Thanks

Hi Bill and others
    I'm still relatively new to the forum but, I consider myself a legitimate poster. I'm not intending to anger or hurt anyone's feelings but, I also find the hello/introduction posts useless. There was also one the other day about some storm effecting flights, although it never did mention where that was or how it applied to this forum.

If you have a question or item to post about, then just post it. I think we can figure out who's new, especially since all users have a join date attached to them.
    Club Member, Mt Washington Observatory
    ~ Everything happens in it's own time ~

3. The Following User Says Thank You to BAXTERCA2 For This Useful Post:

Charlie (12-03-2010)

Thanks

your right Bill when i go to a new forum the first time i post it is not to say hello i say something or ask something
    the people on the forum know you are new and will say hi to you when they reply to your post
    do what you have to to stop spam ,i hate spam never had it wait wrong spam lol
    i am a Summit Club member
    http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/new pictures and videos

If your not a OBS member yet then what are you waiting for

Thanks

I definitely agree with you guys. I certainly don't think there is anything wrong with saying hello and introducing yourself in a new post though, but it would be nice if that post had some substance as well (question, info, TR, etc.). By giving a quick heads up that you're new at the beginning of the post, is helpful to me, since I still am fairly new here.

As I was reading this thread, I was starting to get worried, that I may have been one of those people who just initiated a "hello, I'm new here" thread...so searched back. This was my intro thread:

Hello,

New to the forum. My wife and I climbed the Mt. Willard Trail this past weekend and had a great time. We looked for the Hitchcock Flume Spur Trail which is published to be off the main trail near the summit. My wife and I looked for this spur for 30 minutes and just could not find it. Most everything I have read that references it is pretty old, at least 4 or 5 years old, including my AMC WM trail guide which is the 27th edition. I took a quick peek in the 28th edition at EMS and the Mt. Willard Trail section has no mention of the Hitchcock Flume Spur and the maps included omit this spur too. Does anyone have any information on this? Have they let it grow out so that it is no longer easily found? I can't find any info as to why AMC amended this in their latest edition. Any info would be appreciated as I left Willard feeling like I missed something that I shouldn't have.

At least I had something to add to the forum on my first thread...pheewww!!!
    Karl

6. The Following User Says Thank You to KSearl For This Useful Post:

daveyuri (11-15-2012)

Thanks

It is hard to know the right answer. I posted on MWO's fan Page on Facebook about the forums - come visit and join in. The short Hello message is kind of a Facebookish thing to do and these could be legitimate new members. I would rather assume it is real till it is obvious one way or another.
    Brad (a 6288 club member)
    http://bradstreet.zenfolio.com Personal Photo sales site
    http://public.fotki.com/bradbradstreet Personal photo web site
    http://public.fotki.com/MWO/saved/2012/ MWO image & video archive site 2006-2012

Thanks

I'm very grateful that we do not have anonymous postings here. I think it becomes pretty obvious PDQ if someone is here for nefarious purposes, and if they abuse the forum, they are locked out. I certainly appreciate the mods for their care and concern, and I thank you for what you do!
    Breeze

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Brad View Post
    It is hard to know the right answer. I posted on MWO's fan Page on Facebook about the forums - come visit and join in. The short Hello message is kind of a Facebookish thing to do and these could be legitimate new members. I would rather assume it is real till it is obvious one way or another.
    I agree with Brad, it is hard to answer. There has been a large number of new people on here the last few days. Are they being directed here from FB? Are they really here for a good purpose? I guess that's up to you Bill and the other moderators to determine. It is a shame if they are here just to spam.
    Bob

I never want to see a day
    That's over forty degrees
    I'd rather have it thirty,
    Twenty, ten, five and let it freeeeEEEEEEeeze!

My Seek the Peak 2014 Photo Set

Thanks

facestalker ( also know as facebook) has some real wierdos and I'm afraid of it

I totally agree with what Karl said above it should have some substance..... and hey I had to look back

Quote Originally Posted by smithtim View Post
    OK so I've got moderate mountaineering experience but a newbee to this forum / mt. washington

I'm planning a solo day hike on Sunday March 15th as my first visit to Washington; I'm 31 in failry good shape, surf 3-4 times week, other workout 2times week....... My goal is Visitor Center off route 16 up to Lion's Head ( yeah I dream about the summit but I know that's dreaming for my first time on Washington and out of the question solo)

I have planned to usual gear ( Crampons, ice axe, 3 layers w/gortex, insulated water , overnight sleeping bag in case ....) but I was hoping you all could share a little advice on a few question:

#1 Food: what is the best recommended food to carry that won't freeze so quick and is easy to carry / eat...

#2 Is GPS needed for this route or is it sufficiently marked to where I'll be OK with map / compass

I thank you in advance for your help

Tim

p.s. is anybody else out there going up that day

And makes me as I did actually summit that first day on mt. wash......and thanks to some friendly people's advice from this forum I enjoined a nice peanut butter & honey bagel that did not freeze
    Last edited by smithtim; 12-03-2010 at 06:34 PM.
    'when it starts to hurt your nearly halfway and probably should get out those ropes & put your crampons on"

Thanks

Don't worry, I'm not looking to go back into the past and out people for doing this.

Going forward, if people want to introduce themselves please add something to the content of the forum. A question, a comment, a story, but don't just say hi.
    Bill
    Next up: Vermont City Marathon: May, 2011
    EasternLight

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bill O For This Useful Post:

KSearl (12-04-2010), Snow Miser (12-03-2010)

Thanks

I agree with Bill's concerns - if you are new to the forums, just go ahead and say what you have to say. Feel free to include an introduction as part of your message, but please don't simply post things like "Hi, I'm new here. "

Thanks.

Ed