I have mixed feelings about this. While I don't like getting spammed here I don't know that introduction posts are the biggest culprit for that. A spammer is certainly as likely to post some question or comment that is trying to create controversy. I think the typical intro posts are often from someone who has been reading the forum for a while and finally decides to become part of the community. I wasn't able to go back far enough to find my first post but I believe mine was something to that effect - "Hi, I've been reading the forum for a while and really appreciate the good info that is shared here. I'm, John Doe from Connecticut and I've been hiking in the White Mountains for the last few years. I'm interested in getting more information about suggested hikes and participating in the many interesting discussions here."

I'm sure that I said a bit more than just this, but it was still basically just an introduction. I then started participating in the other discussions that were going on. Isn't that the sort of thing that we'd expect someone to do if they were joining a group that meets in person? One of the things that I've always liked about these forums is that it is such a welcoming, helpful and friendly community. I hope that we're not trying to make it something other than that...