Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thoughts on Introductions?

Thanks

I have mixed feelings about this. While I don't like getting spammed here I don't know that introduction posts are the biggest culprit for that. A spammer is certainly as likely to post some question or comment that is trying to create controversy. I think the typical intro posts are often from someone who has been reading the forum for a while and finally decides to become part of the community. I wasn't able to go back far enough to find my first post but I believe mine was something to that effect - "Hi, I've been reading the forum for a while and really appreciate the good info that is shared here. I'm, John Doe from Connecticut and I've been hiking in the White Mountains for the last few years. I'm interested in getting more information about suggested hikes and participating in the many interesting discussions here."

I'm sure that I said a bit more than just this, but it was still basically just an introduction. I then started participating in the other discussions that were going on. Isn't that the sort of thing that we'd expect someone to do if they were joining a group that meets in person? One of the things that I've always liked about these forums is that it is such a welcoming, helpful and friendly community. I hope that we're not trying to make it something other than that...
    Mark

Keep close to Nature's heart...
    and break clear away, once in awhile,
    and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods.
    Wash your spirit clean. - John Muir

Hiking photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/mtruman42
    Hiking Blog: http://theramblingsblog.blogspot.com/
    Seek the 2011 Peak page: Mark Truman's Pledge Page

Thanks

Don't worry, we aren't looking to change the policy or make new rules against intros. I am more interested to know that I am not the only person who sees little value or community building in the brief one line intros.
    Bill
    Next up: Vermont City Marathon: May, 2011
    EasternLight

Thanks

Just wanted to say hello and introduce myself. My names Jon and from the Uk. I'm planning a trip over to New Hampshire next spring and very pleased to have found this site. I'm looking at doing some great hikes and trails. Already found some great posts and photos.
    For example, the above is a good intro. It's clear that it is a real person with a real interest in Mount Washington.

On the other hand...

I am a new member to the community and I just wanted to say hi to everyone. I am looking forward participating in the forums.
    That is not a good intro. Maybe it's sincere, but it probably isn't. They have expressed no sign that it was written by an actual person, it told us nothing about the person, and added nothing but noise.
    Bill
    EasternLight

Thanks

If it is "noise" and they never come back - so what? If they come back with more information, fine. If they SPAM, then it gets dealt with. Why do we need to assume one way or another?
    Brad (a 6288 club member)
    http://bradstreet.zenfolio.com Personal Photo sales site
    http://public.fotki.com/bradbradstreet Personal photo web site
    http://public.fotki.com/MWO/saved/2012/ MWO image & video archive site 2006-2012

Thanks

I think it serves its purpose. After all, if I entered a bar and wanted to have a chat with people I didn't know, I would eventually have to introduce myself.

Thanks

Just a heads up. A "hi" type introduction as a first post / new thread with no tie-in to anything remotely connected to Mount Washington will be deleted as spam.

As always, any new forum members can chime into any thread without an introduction (all first posts will be moderated). They are also welcome to start an introduction thread, but it should have some relevance.
    Bill
    EasternLight

Thanks

Needless to say, I am NEW here. It took awhile to actually get the approval. I have no intentions to spam, I take regular trips around the US and plan on going to NH soon. Science, weather, water, and all nature/natural things are interesting to me. Just trying to learn some new things and maybe meet some good people. If I am in the wrong place, my apologies, If I am in the right place, thanks for having me!!

Thanks

Welcome joshcooper! There are a lot of friendly, knowledgeable folks here on these boards, so you're in the right place to chat about hiking, weather, etc. Hope you can make it to NH and enjoy some of its natural beauty.
    Bob

I never want to see a day
    That's over forty degrees
    I'd rather have it thirty,
    Twenty, ten, five and let it freeeeEEEEEEeeze!

My Seek the Peak 2013 Photo Set