Thread: Need some help with winter washington trail info

Thanks

Question Need some help with winter washington trail info

Thinking about climbing for New Years. Have always wanted to see the new year in on the top of the rock pile. Anyone have any recent info on rock pile conditions. Is winter route open yet or is it still summer route?? Have the rocks filled in or is it post hole time. Post holing in the dark would not be much fun. I think climbing in winter is much easier than summer if the rocks are filled in. I know conditions change hour to hour on the rock pile in winter but just looking to have somewhat of an idea what is happening up there right now. Anyone else looking to see the new year in on the rock pile besides the obs folks?? Honestly thinking about doing this hike.

Thanks

snowfeilds appear to be filling in but not quite there yet... should be by New Years

Last I heard it is still summer route; I'm going up Thursday or Weekend so will try to take some pics & update!

For the dark start it really isn't that bad as most of your alpine start will actually be on the tucks trail which is well like walking on a snowmobile road... I try to time it where sunrise comes up right about when I hit the Lions head trail or base of hunningtons snowfeild depending on my route
    'when it starts to hurt your nearly halfway and probably should get out those ropes & put your crampons on"

Thanks

Not filled in quite yet in many places at least on the cone as of yesterday and todays storm is doing little to help with that situation. A couple places to look for trail information: AMC backcountry: http://www.outdoors.org/tripplanner/...ry-weather.cfm, the MW Avalanche page: http://www.mountwashingtonavalanchecenter.org/ and views from the top trail conditions forums: http://www.viewsfromthetop.com/forums/index.php? as well as these forums. But asking for trail conditions/weather three weeks away is useless cause as you mentioned, a lot can happen in that time. So continue to monitor not only the trail conditions but the weather leading up to your hike. I listed a bunch of other useful information on this forum here: http://www.mountwashington.org/forum...ght=#post44518. Have fun and hopefully everything works out for you that day.
    Ryan Knapp
    Staff Meteorologist/Night Observer, KMWN (Mt Washington Obs., NH)

Thanks

Default Thanks guys

Ryan thanks for the info sites and Tim good luck on your climb up. Let us all know how it goes. Looks like some cold air is moving in the next few days. Thanks again guys.

Thanks

I would also like to know and hear about your weekend trip up. I plan to climb up to Hermit Lake on the 29th, camp and go for the summit on the 30th, climb back to HL and head out the 31st. I fly back to Florida on the 1st, so unfortunately I will only have one day to go for the summit, so here is to hoping the conditions will be in my favor, otherwise it might be a long day lying in a tent reading a book. I can confirm that as of now the summer route is open and lion's head is currently closed. I called them about two days ago.
    "Commitment is doing the thing you said you'd do, long after the mood you said it in has left you." - Bear Grylls' mother

Thanks

This thread I put up has a nice pic of the, approach which is still icy, and above treeline it is as to be expected for winter.... best of luck with your climb and let us know how it goes

http://www.mountwashington.org/forum...rail-conditons
    'when it starts to hurt your nearly halfway and probably should get out those ropes & put your crampons on"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iceclimber View Post
    I would also like to know and hear about your weekend trip up. I plan to climb up to Hermit Lake on the 29th, camp and go for the summit on the 30th, climb back to HL and head out the 31st. I fly back to Florida on the 1st, so unfortunately I will only have one day to go for the summit, so here is to hoping the conditions will be in my favor, otherwise it might be a long day lying in a tent reading a book. I can confirm that as of now the summer route is open and lion's head is currently closed. I called them about two days ago.
    maybe get an Alpine start on your first day, dump your gear at hermit (hide it somewhere or it might grow legs) and go for the summit that first day then if either the weather turns or you don't bag it that first day use camping & summit bid on 2nd day as a "back up" ....... just thinking that would give you a bit more flexibility to play with weather, energy etc

Anyways, best of luck and lets us know how it went!!