Thread: update trail conditons

Thanks

Default update trail conditons

so I've been up here on my annual reverse snowbird thing: climbed Huntington Central, lions head, Falling waters & Kings Ravine over the last few days and then going to do another ice course on Frankenstein Cliffs to fine tune skills and learn more about ropes etc

All in all the trail conditions were as expected for this time of year with the exception of the approach on tucks.. I'll post some pics over in the photo section when I get back to Florida, but in a nutshell ice ice and more ice mixed in with people that don't know what they are doing falling over and sliding down towards me

I'd strongly encourage getting an early start if you are going to avoid all that fun as I did

Once I got past the fire road junction ( went right on Thursday to get into Huntington & straight on Friday to Lion's head) it turned more to snow and the usual fun. Above treeline was brutal but everything looked stable and I had a good time.
    On Friday I didn't bother plugging for the summit as been there done that and short of day light + wanted to save energy for the next days (think I turned around just at Lion's head itself)
    On Thursday I ran all the way up Central Gully. The conditions are very nice over there: the approach is fun with a little still under the boulders then the fan is filling in for a good little snow climb and then the Gullies are in good shape with a few groups up there
    Last edited by smithtim; 12-19-2010 at 05:39 PM.
    'when it starts to hurt your nearly halfway and probably should get out those ropes & put your crampons on"

Thanks

oh BTW the falling waters trail was very nice... also a little icy but I think a bit more snow on that side of the range! Still a good nice easy "day of rest" walk in the woods with tons of scenery and pictures

Kings ravine trail ( Mt. Adams ) is OK except near the top (really past the subway/chem de junction) where the snow is starting to fill in around the rocks but it hasn't completely done so yet.... lot of the gaps in between the rocks are still there almost like crevasse so a little concerning and slow / sure footing before putting all my weight into my next step
    'when it starts to hurt your nearly halfway and probably should get out those ropes & put your crampons on"

3. The Following User Says Thank You to smithtim For This Useful Post:

Brad (12-19-2010)

Thanks

Default here's a quick visual

I'll post a few more pics later, but here is how the tucks trail looks and as you can see traction defintley recommended!

tucks trail dec 16 by tas43769, on Flickr

Thanks

Glad to see it was another successful trip Tim. Should be helpful info for those in those areas in the near future. Looking forward to some more pics
    Mark

Keep close to Nature's heart...
    and break clear away, once in awhile,
    and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods.
    Wash your spirit clean. - John Muir

Hiking photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/mtruman42
    Hiking Blog: http://theramblingsblog.blogspot.com/
    Seek the 2011 Peak page: Mark Truman's Pledge Page

Thanks

Nice report Tim! Look forward to seeing the rest of your photos.
    Bob

I never want to see a day
    That's over forty degrees
    I'd rather have it thirty,
    Twenty, ten, five and let it freeeeEEEEEEeeze!

My Seek the Peak 2013 Photo Set