Thread: Merry Christmas

Thanks

Default Merry Christmas

It looks like it is a chilly night on the mountain again. I will be flying up on Tuesday to do winter camp/hike up Mt. Washington on Wed/Thurs. I was going to to this a few years ago with my brother in law, but he got sick and we turned back. I think the min. temp that December was in the mid to high 30s.

Well, I have my warm gear ready and am willing to give it a good try. If I'm socked in, I'll read a good book in my cozy bag at the hermit lake shelters. One question I do have for you who have done a winter ascent.

As for toilets, are there any at Hermit lake shelters? I don't have a CMC (clean mountain can), so if there are none, I'll be sure to bring along some green bags. Thanks and have a Happy Holiday season. I'll be sure to post some pics of my trip when I get back. Thanks Tim for your advice as well.

Here is to hoping the weather will be splitter on Thursday.
    "Commitment is doing the thing you said you'd do, long after the mood you said it in has left you." - Bear Grylls' mother

Thanks

Well I don't have an answer to your question, but best of luck with your attempt! The weather looks like it should be pretty great Wed/Thurs judging from the long-term forecast. I plan to be on Mt. Jackson Thursday, so I'm praying for good weather as well.

Thanks

Thanks. Hope you have fun on Jackson.
    "Commitment is doing the thing you said you'd do, long after the mood you said it in has left you." - Bear Grylls' mother

Thanks

There are toilets at Hermit Lake but I'm not sure that they're open in winter. I'm sure that someone else here knows. Good luck luck with your hike. And good luck with #11 Owen. At your current rate you're going to be caught up with us and pass us before we get our boots on again!
    Mark

Keep close to Nature's heart...
    and break clear away, once in awhile,
    and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods.
    Wash your spirit clean. - John Muir

Hiking photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/mtruman42
    Hiking Blog: http://theramblingsblog.blogspot.com/
    Seek the 2011 Peak page: Mark Truman's Pledge Page

Thanks

Thanks. I'll be prepared either way.

Thanks

Trying to remember the toilet situation at Hermit lake. If I remember right there are "winter toilets" available - yes, still indoors.
    Brad (a 6288 club member)
    http://bradstreet.zenfolio.com Personal Photo sales site
    http://public.fotki.com/bradbradstreet Personal photo web site
    http://public.fotki.com/MWO/saved/2012/ MWO image & video archive site 2006-2012

Thanks

Well, that would be nice. It was cold up on Denali at 17'000 using the CMC.

Thanks

they were open last march when I was up there, so I'd assume they are open year round...you could call Pinkman AMC if wanted to be 100% sure

best of luck
    'when it starts to hurt your nearly halfway and probably should get out those ropes & put your crampons on"

Thanks

Just an update. I had a wonderful time in NH and in the White Mountains. I had splitter weather on Thursday and made my summit. I camped at Hermit lake on Wed. night and with the winds, didn't think I would get a chance on Thurs., but it turned out to be a beautiful day. I think I could see all the way to Florida. I broke camp on Friday morning and flew back today. It was a great trip.

Thanks

I can also put to rest the question I posed about winter toilets. Hermit lake campsite does have winterized toilets.