Thread: Jackson-Webster loop on an INCREDIBLE day (12/30)

Thanks

Default Jackson-Webster loop on an INCREDIBLE day (12/30)

I bagged my 11th peak today on Mount Jackson. The weather was unbelievable with full visibility in all directions. A little gusty at the summit, but it wasn't a problem at all. My first snow-shoe hike, and I think I liked it...just not the trail-breaking as much.

Check out my full report with pictures:

http://opw9010.blogspot.com/2010/12/...ackson-11.html

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ow2010 For This Useful Post:

Anna LeBlanc (01-03-2011), Brad (12-31-2010), Jimmy Legs and Little d (01-01-2011)

Thanks

What a way to get your first snowshoe hike Owen! Just a fantastic day. Nice that you got the usual Gray Jay welcoming committee on the summit too. Not sure what time you were on the summit but the guy who's in the middle of working on the W48 speed record (Ryan) was on Jackson at 2:15 yesterday. Did you see a speeding bullet pass you at any point? You're right about this area being a popular flight path too. First time we were on Webster we had Air Force One fly directly over us!

Happy New Year! Looking forward to following your continued trek in 2011.
    Mark

Keep close to Nature's heart...
    and break clear away, once in awhile,
    and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods.
    Wash your spirit clean. - John Muir

Hiking photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/mtruman42
    Hiking Blog: http://theramblingsblog.blogspot.com/
    Seek the 2011 Peak page: Mark Truman's Pledge Page

Thanks

Like Mark said, what a way to get in your first snowshoe hike. I'm sure you will get addicted, even though breaking the trail can be exhausting. Great photos and report on your blog. Thanks for sharing with us.
    Bob

I never want to see a day
    That's over forty degrees
    I'd rather have it thirty,
    Twenty, ten, five and let it freeeeEEEEEEeeze!

My Seek the Peak 2013 Photo Set

Thanks

Thanks for the responses, guys! We reached the summit of Jackson around 11:35am and departed by 12:10pm...at 2:15 we were just leaving Webster summit, so I think we missed him.

Thanks

Beautiful pictures!!!!
    Armando

Thanks

Owen,

Great pics and blog entry! Thanks for trail breaking between Webster and Jackson. I heard from a friend last year, that the Webster Cliff Trail between the peaks wasn't broken out...and made it extremely difficult follow toward the end of the winter season. Once one person breaks it, others will follow for sure!

Karl

Thanks

Hey, I think I saw you from the summit of Washington. You are right about the visibility.
    "Commitment is doing the thing you said you'd do, long after the mood you said it in has left you." - Bear Grylls' mother

Thanks

I bet you could see us from the summit! And you made it to the top! Congratulations...any pictures looking toward Jackson?

Thanks

Unfortunately I don't have any pictures as my camera battery was not cooperating. I did meet two wonderful guys who took my picture and emailed it to me. I'll try and upload it later. Just me with my hand on the summit sign. I was a little disappointed there was not a summit registry up there.

I did meet this volunteer who was a chef. He said they were prepping to do a New Year's Eve dinner up at the observatory at a whopping 1K a pop. I sadly descended to enjoy some 1 dollar ramen noodles. I hope that dinner was worth it for those who attended.
    Last edited by iceclimber; 01-02-2011 at 06:17 PM.
    "Commitment is doing the thing you said you'd do, long after the mood you said it in has left you." - Bear Grylls' mother

Thanks

Jackson was my first winter 4K as well, just last winter. Looks like you got to take the right route to the summit. When we went we followed the packed trail, which did not follow the right trail, so we ended up looping around and coming up the the side you came down to head to Webster. We couldn't find the correct trail for the decent, so we looped back around coming down. I applaud you for breaking trail, I'm not a fan. We did Mt Tom and were going do Field as well but it wasn't broken out and we said "No Thanks, it can wait for another day". Congrats on taking on the winter side. Well worth it!