Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Guides for Mount Washington

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by climbabout View Post
    You guys looking to do a winter or summer climb?
    Tim
    if they are taking a guide and it is winter I think they should at least do Central Gully as they'd have an opportunity to learn multiple things such as ropes, tying into harness,screws etc, yet Central isn't really that tough. I think most places would actually call it "a guided ice climb" on their price lists. Of course if there is absoultley no prior climbing experience then maybe not such a good idea.
    Last edited by smithtim; 01-07-2011 at 10:53 PM.
    'when it starts to hurt your nearly halfway and probably should get out those ropes & put your crampons on"

Thanks

Also, just to clarify something here to hopefully avoid people getting mixed up.While they are housed together the websites are split: IME is Rick's school which does all of the big international trips. Then IMC is the local "international mountain climbing school" which does climbs on Washington and local ice/rock! Here's the linkee to the local climbing school as the one give prior was for Rick's http://www.ime-usa.com/imcs/index.html

BTW if you guys do choose IMC and are doing something technical I'd recommend Craig Taylor as I just did a technical ice climb (well WI) with him and he was by far the best guide I've ever hired!

Best of luck on the mountain and enjoy your trip to the US
    Last edited by smithtim; 01-07-2011 at 11:07 PM.
    'when it starts to hurt your nearly halfway and probably should get out those ropes & put your crampons on"

Thanks

I'd like to go up Hillman's Highway the next time I go up Washington. Once I saw that, I was kicking myself for going up Lions Head, but being my first time on Washington, nothing to complain about.
    "Commitment is doing the thing you said you'd do, long after the mood you said it in has left you." - Bear Grylls' mother

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iceclimber View Post
    I'd like to go up Hillman's Highway the next time I go up Washington. Once I saw that, I was kicking myself for going up Lions Head, but being my first time on Washington, nothing to complain about.
    I worry a bit about going up the central tuckermans headwall in winter as you never know if a random skilled ( or unskilled) skier will drop in at the top and send a nice pile of fluff if not a slab down on the climber

I've noticed in hunningtons ravine the problem kinda solves itself due to the pretty much not skiable ice gullies up top

Thanks

That is true. I guess if I were to do it, I would camp at Hermit Lake and wake up really early and that way, I would be up before too many people had even hiked up to that point.
    "Commitment is doing the thing you said you'd do, long after the mood you said it in has left you." - Bear Grylls' mother

Thanks

alpine start is the way to go