Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best adventure book you have read

Thanks

Default Best adventure book you have read

Seeing that I will be housebound for the next six or so weeks all I can do is read. If folks could give me their favorite adventure book that they have read and the author it will give me a heads up on the best ones out there. There are other injured souls such as me out there so this will be a nice thing for everyone. Thanks all for your imput. May the six to eight weeks pass quickly with some good books.

Thanks

Jack London's novels are always a good read during this time of the year.
    When you're chewing on life's gristle
    Don't grumble, give a whistle
    And this'll help things turn out for the best. And always look on the bright side of life.

Thanks

Into Thin Air: Krakauer
    Into The Wild: Krakauer
    Eiger Dreams: Krakauer

Fire: Junger
    Touching The Void: Simpson
    Between A Rock And A Hard Place: Ralston

Endurance: Shackleton's Incredible Voyage; Lansing

And of course...Not Without Peril
    Bill
    Next up: Vermont City Marathon: May, 2011
    EasternLight

Thanks

Default Books

It's a very short book but I like: "Three Days on the White Mountains: The Perilous Adventure of Dr. B.L.Ball on Mount Washington" You can probabaly read this in an hour or two, but it's worth it. There is also a version of it in Nicholas Howe's "Not Without Peril" which is a longer read about deaths on the Presidential Range.

Also anything republished by Mike Dickerman of Bondcliff Books and all of Steve Smith's works are excellent, all dealing with NH's White Mountains. If you can't buy them here:

http://www.mountwashington.org/store...cf17f5c4366a64

Try here:

http://www.mountainwanderer.com/

KDT

Thanks

For a slightly more humorous read look up Ten Years on the Rock Pile by Lee Vincent . I think that there were a couple of books that he wrote in the same vein.

http://www.biblio.com/books/8513000.html

Thanks

Thumbs up Incredible book!!!!!

Spent my day in bed reading Facing the Exteme by Ruth Anne Kocour. What an incredible tale of survival on McKinley. I could not put this book down and read it cover to cover. I would recommend this book to all who have stood a top the summit or those who have a dream of one day standing atop a summit wheather it be 4,000 or 29,000 feet. This book is a must read!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks

Default Adventure story

How about Louis Lamour's LAST OF THE BREED. (1986) Not a cowboy tale, it tells of a USAF Major (a Sioux Indian) whose experimental plane is forced down over Russia, is captured, escapes and is followed by Russia's finest tracker all the way across Siberia to the Bering Strait and on to America. I barely breathed in places! Enjoy!

Thanks

Default My Favorite!

Life By The Tracks....By Virginia C. Downs

It's about The Evans Family who lived on the slope of Mt. Willard in a railroad section house. Great story, I've read it 3 times!!

Thanks

Thumbs up Another great book

Just finished another incredible book. The book is called a test of will by Warren MacDonald. This book is a must read. This is the story about the climber who got pinned under a rock slab while on a hike and ended up losing both his legs. What a story.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rockin rex
    Just finished another incredible book. The book is called a test of will by Warren MacDonald. This book is a must read. This is the story about the climber who got pinned under a rock slab while on a hike and ended up losing both his legs. What a story.
    Sounds interesting. That reminds me of an amazing article in Backpacker Magazine a few years. It was about a man who got pinned in the Wyoming backcountry on a solo trip. He didn't live, but he wrote a journal and they were able to piece together most of what happened.
    Bill
    Next up: Vermont City Marathon: May, 2011
    EasternLight