Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Southern Mountain giving Mt Washington a run in wind speed

Thanks

Bill O-"The 231 was recorded with a modified 3-cup, not a pitot. Well, it worked on the same principal as a 3-cup."
    The anemometer that was used to measure the 231 mph wind was known as 'old No. 2' and it is located in the museum on the summit. It wasn't a 3 cup but about a 6" diameter cylinder or drum, maybe 2" thick, with 6 'scoops' on its diameter to catch the wind. The wind speed was measured by timing 'clicks' from electrical contact closures made every so many revolutions of the drum. There is a photo of this anemometer (between p170 and p171) in 'The Worst Weather on Earth' published by the MWO in 1991.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Dent
    The anemometer that was used to measure the 231 mph wind was known as 'old No. 2' and it is located in the museum on the summit. It wasn't a 3 cup but about a 6" diameter cylinder or drum, maybe 2" thick, with 6 'scoops' on its diameter to catch the wind. The wind speed was measured by timing 'clicks' from electrical contact closures made every so many revolutions of the drum. There is a photo of this anemometer (between p170 and p171) in 'The Worst Weather on Earth' published by the MWO in 1991.
    That's right. I kept the description simple since a 3-cup and old no 2 both work on the same principal...they spin in a circle. And wind speed is proportional to have fast it spins.

When I left the Obs a few years ago they were testing a modern day "old no 2." Essentially a large steel drum with scoops that spins in a circle, heated by a stove coil. To say the least, it was scary to be near when spinning at any speed.
    Bill
    Next up: Vermont City Marathon: May, 2011
    EasternLight

Thanks

Grandfather Mtn. has a been using a new anemometer sited according to standard observation rules since Feb of this year.

This last weekend was pretty windy in the NC area. I emailed the caretaker of the mountain; he said their top gust was 98mph with sustained winds of 60+. Not much compared to MWO's windy days, but still pretty impressive to approach 100mph.

I believe they recorded a 102mph gust on Nov 10, which is their highest reading using the new anemometer in a better location.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by treant985
    Grandfather Mtn. has a been using a new anemometer sited according to standard observation rules since Feb of this year.

This last weekend was pretty windy in the NC area. I emailed the caretaker of the mountain; he said their top gust was 98mph with sustained winds of 60+. Not much compared to MWO's windy days, but still pretty impressive to approach 100mph.

I believe they recorded a 102mph gust on Nov 10, which is their highest reading using the new anemometer in a better location.
    It would be interesting if they still had the old anemometer running at the same time. Then they could compare how ridiculous their old data is.
    Bill
    EasternLight

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bill O
    It would be interesting if they still had the old anemometer running at the same time. Then they could compare how ridiculous their old data is.
    We will be running a wind comparison study (summer only) to compare the record wind site, the new instrument tower, and a few other summit locations. It will be interesting to compare strong winds from different directions at different spots around the summit.

Of course, our study will use identical instruments, whereas Bill's idea for Grandfather Mtn is to compare their anemometers.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mike D
    We will be running a wind comparison study (summer only) to compare the record wind site, the new instrument tower, and a few other summit locations. It will be interesting to compare strong winds from different directions at different spots around the summit.

Of course, our study will use identical instruments, whereas Bill's idea for Grandfather Mtn is to compare their anemometers.
    That's great. Can't wait to see the data.
    Bill
    EasternLight

Thanks

Beech mtn in NC recorded 86.3mph gust this morning. I believe that Grandfather's station is still down since the solar panel blew away this last weekend and messed up their electronics.

Thanks

Mercury is never used in low temperature thermometers for one simple reason - it turns into a solid at about -40F (or -40C).

Wikipedia lists it as -38.83C, -37.89F

Thanks

Maybe this has been discussed elsewhere, but does anyone have a list of, say, the top 10 or 15 gusts recorded at Mount Washington? I can use the monthly charts to find the highest for each month, but of course that just shows the strongest and may miss other high ones that just missed being that month's strongest.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by treant985
    Maybe this has been discussed elsewhere, but does anyone have a list of, say, the top 10 or 15 gusts recorded at Mount Washington? I can use the monthly charts to find the highest for each month, but of course that just shows the strongest and may miss other high ones that just missed being that month's strongest.
    I've never seen it, but it could be easily extracted from the database.

You might have to say that only one peak gust can count per day. Otherwise, I bet all 10-15 occured on the same day as the 231mph gust.
    Bill
    EasternLight