Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Southern Mountain giving Mt Washington a run in wind speed

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mike D
    We will be running a wind comparison study (summer only) to compare the record wind site, the new instrument tower, and a few other summit locations. It will be interesting to compare strong winds from different directions at different spots around the summit.

Of course, our study will use identical instruments, whereas Bill's idea for Grandfather Mtn is to compare their anemometers.

I hope that the info from the study will be available online once it's done. Mike, do you have any info like what kind of equipment you'll use, a map of where the anemometers will be located, etc?

I believe there's an article on this website somewhere that claims that the change of location in 1980 may be the reason why the observatory hasn't really come close to a 200 mph reading since the record. So the study this summer could be very interesting.

Would there be any chance of having multiple permanent anemometers year-round in the future (based on what the study returns), and visitors to the site can see both readings (or at least the higher one)?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mike D
    We will be running a wind comparison study (summer only) to compare the record wind site, the new instrument tower, and a few other summit locations. It will be interesting to compare strong winds from different directions at different spots around the summit.

Of course, our study will use identical instruments, whereas Bill's idea for Grandfather Mtn is to compare their anemometers.
    Any heads up on the locations? I've always thought for all the hiking we've done up there that we have almost been blown over in Edmands Col, only to emerge out and there hardly be any wind at all elsewhere. I know this has something to do with the topography of that area, so is there a certain criteria that will be met by the satellite sites?
    "LIVE FREE OR DIE...DEATH IS NOT THE WORST OF ALL EVILS." Gen. John Stark. "by reason of much foule weather and Extreme Bad Woods to travel in..." From the letter of my Great Uncle, Samuel Willard (accompanied by my grandfather Henry), to Governor Dummer on August 16, 1725, explaining the reason for his return, being instructed to "range all the country", of the Wawobadenik (White Mountains) July 19-August 16, 1725. I am a 13th generation New Englander and proud of it.