Thread: President's Day Weekend Summit Hike Report 2/17-18/07

Hybrid View

Thanks

Default President's Day Weekend Summit Hike Report 2/17-18/07

We were up on Lion's Head Saturday, guides by IME (Maury and Dan). I would definitely recommend them for experience, gear rental, and attitude. Tops in all categories.

Snow pack was heavy, chest drifts in some places. It was slow going breaking trail, but by the time we got up just below tree line to get some water and fuel, a steady line of what looked like hundreds of climbers came out behind us. So many that they surely had no idea we were breaking trail, people were getting impatient.

2 in our group of 5 summited. Conditions were favorable, but still exhausting. What a mountain!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by straps
    We were up on Lion's Head Saturday, guides by IME (Maury and Dan)... It was slow going breaking trail, but by the time we got up just below tree line to get some water and fuel, a steady line of what looked like hundreds of climbers came out behind us. So many that they surely had no idea we were breaking trail, people were getting impatient.
    I heard complaints from other climbers about the logjam on Lionhead trail Saturday morning. I stepped off the beaten path a few times and sunk almost waist deep into the snow. Breaking that trail must have been pure torture. Those whining climbers should be glad that they were waiting instead of being the first to trudge through that stuff.

I think I met one of your guides at Pinkham's visitor’s center. He took another group up to the summit the next day on Sunday. Young, no older than early twenties, dark hair, deep slightly red-colored tan or complexion, wore a bright orange-red outer shell. Don't recall his name. Anyhow, breaking that trail and summiting a second time in as many days--that’s pretty hard core.

2 in our group of 5 summited. Conditions were favorable, but still exhausting. What a mountain!
    What ever happened to the other 3 in your group? Someone told me that there was a minor injury/rescue on Saturday, but I don't know any more than that.

Thanks

Default Guides

I assume a guide stayed with each group when you split up?
    KDT

Thanks

(thanks to admin for putting this in the correct place, I originally posted this in a rush this morning!)

We all made it in one piece, and did not see any trail rescues. Dan (last name?) was the younger guide's name, and we were all in awe of his breaking trail one day and guiding again the next. Hard core indeed. If you are in need of a guide while reading this, he was great company and extremely knowledgeable, we recommend him.

Many locals we met respect Maury McKinney, our other guide. Reading back over his credentials I wish I'd asked him more questions! We made the call to split up and let the other 2 hikers in our group summit. The guides had no part in separating us. (you can easily find these details on IME-USA.com, but I don't want to turn this board into a commercial)

The trail was getting rather slick and boney by end of day. This was in great contrast to the beginning of the day, and we slipped around some; no doubt contributing to the butt-shaped groove down Lion's Head in the trees. Flurries in the early AM gave way to lenticular clouds and sun. The cone was in and out of clouds, but some decent views were to be had.

I just wish those that were getting impatient could have seen Maury and Dan breaking trail. They were monsters!

Thanks

Smile what's the rush - relax and enjoy

Not like the day I climbed, saw only 2 other hikers. Holiday weekend on the rock pile, in the winter and with fresh snow and nice weather brings out the groups. Don't know what the hurry is. When I climb Washington I never want to leave!! Those who were upset about the log jam on Lions head need to remember there are other routes up that are walk up routes ( non-technical) Boot Spur is nice, Nelson Crag is nice, and my favorite with a group the Ammonoosic Jewell loop. With a nice powder covering the ice on the ammo would make for a sweet trail to climb. The one down side to Washington, crowds. If you know when to go and where to go you can find yourself all by yourself if that is what you are looking for. Just remember " ALWAYS put safety first!!!!!!!"

Thanks

I wasn't up there, but I'd say those back ups are fairly rare on Mount Washington. Probably more likely to see it below the Hillary Step on Everest than on Lion's Head.

I know it's not easy, but there is nothing stopping you from picking off the slow climbers one by one. Ask them to step aside and they probably will. They aren't roped up, and they aren't hypoxic due to lack of oxygen. But you better be able to leave them in your dust and never look back. Or risk the embarrassment of gasping for air at the top of Lion's Head while the pack of turtles marches by.
    Bill
    Next up: Vermont City Marathon: May, 2011
    EasternLight

Thanks

We were up on Lion's Head Saturday, guides by IME (Maury and Dan). I would definitely recommend them for experience, gear rental, and attitude. Tops in all categories.
    Hey Straps! I think we met up there. Maury caught up with me right at the top, 2:15pm. Cool guy. I went up with Elliot, another awesome IMCS guide. What a fantastic day .. a butt kicker even w/o breaking trail .. those guys are amazing!!

Did you get the wind speed/temp when we were there, it was fairly brutal. It looks like a whole other world in my Summit Pic. Especially after the sun and nice conditions most of the way up. The archive shows about 4 deg, -25 with wind chill. 45-60 mph winds. Felt worse!

Thanks

Didn't get exact reads, but do know the wind was whipping. Once we got back below the trees, our energy bounded back up. The gusts weren't so brutal we couldn't keep on, but enough that it required that much more energy to keep warm.

Not sure who recommended training as if you were doing a half marathon, but I would also include as much cold air cardio as possible. Gyms are good for the legs, but the cold, humid air did my lungs in. Live and learn!

Dan Corn is the younger guides' name.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by smashburn
    Hey Straps! I think we met up there. Maury caught up with me right at the top, 2:15pm. Cool guy. I went up with Elliot, another awesome IMCS guide. What a fantastic day .. a butt kicker even w/o breaking trail .. those guys are amazing!!

Did you get the wind speed/temp when we were there, it was fairly brutal. It looks like a whole other world in my Summit Pic. Especially after the sun and nice conditions most of the way up. The archive shows about 4 deg, -25 with wind chill. 45-60 mph winds. Felt worse!
    Here is a gap in the Deck camera at 2:15 that day.

And the Conditions page at that time:

Brad (a 6288 club member)
    http://bradstreet.zenfolio.com Personal Photo sales site
    http://public.fotki.com/bradbradstreet Personal photo web site
    http://public.fotki.com/MWO/saved/2012/ MWO image & video archive site 2006-2012

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Brad
    Here is a gap in the Deck camera at 2:15 that day.

Amazing how fast it changes up there ... this is my summit pic maybe 10 min later.

Should have had my snack & drink -after- the summit pic! Awesome adventure either way.