Thread: Osceola's to Begin Quest for 48 - 1-9-11

Thanks

Default Osceola's to Begin Quest for 48 - 1-9-11

Hi All,

On January 1st, I decided that I am going to hike all 48 4000 footers in 2011. One full week is all I could wait to get the show on the road. I hiked with my brother over the Osceola's yesterday in steady snow and winds to take my first two summits.

It was also our first time snowshoeing, but we sure had the right snowshoes and loved every second of it.

I've posted a trip report with pictures and a video on my page here. Also, check out some of the other parts of my page and track my progress.
    DMOutdoors

DMOutdoors - My Blog

Thanks

Good luck on your quest to complete the list this year. We did Osceola and E Osceola from the 'Easy' side, going up Osceola, over to the summit of East, then back over to Osceola and down. I was recovering from a knee injury and needed something easy. You definitely took the harder of the two routes, but it's always worth it.

We passed the Greenly Pond Trailhead on the Kanc yesterday, headed to Boulder Loop Trail (I'm pregnant and putting the 4K's on hold this year) and there was definitely more snow at the top of the pass than we had on the trail. We had little to none, it was dissappointing. Glad you had a great hike regardless of the weather and no views, good luck with the rest!

Thanks

Welcome to the forum Dan. Nice start to your quest! Osceolas in winter for your first time on snowshoes and your first 4000 footers is definitely jumping in with both feet. Glad it went well. Nice blog too. Looking forward to following the rest of your journey. Best of luck!
    Mark

Keep close to Nature's heart...
    and break clear away, once in awhile,
    and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods.
    Wash your spirit clean. - John Muir

Hiking photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/mtruman42
    Hiking Blog: http://theramblingsblog.blogspot.com/
    Seek the 2011 Peak page: Mark Truman's Pledge Page

Thanks

Congratulations on your first two peaks for the year! They'll really start to fly now, believe me. Looks like you were out there in some pretty nasty weather - the kind of weather I've been lucky in avoiding so far. Definitely good to get experience in inclement weather, though. Looking forward to following your progress.

Owen
    Last edited by ow2010; 01-10-2011 at 05:47 PM.

Thanks

Hi,

Thanks for the comments and welcome. Although very steep, thankfully the Osceola trail coming from Greeley Pond trail has good cover from the trees most of the way to Mt. Osceola. If the trail had been much more exposed or out of the trees, it definitely would have been too dangerous, but thankfully the winds howled mostly over the trees, and we were able to get both in. I actually have some wind burn on the tops of my cheeks today. Despite the steepness and no summit views, I simply had a great view each step I took.

Owen, thank you, and best of luck to you also. I will be following yours as well. As far as the nasty weather, the conditions were exactly the same from 9am to about 630pm. It took us a while because we had to be extra careful on the trail, especially coming back, because depending on the elevation there was anywhere from 3-5 inches of new powder, and on some of the hilly sections, there were some drifts of almost a foot. Following the trail was still very easy though. I feel like snow is no problem now, I'll have to test out some heavy rains in the spring

I'm new to the blogging thing, but so far, I'm really getting into it and enjoying doing it.

-Dan
    DMOutdoors

DMOutdoors - My Blog

Thanks

Hi Dan,

Great blog and I'll be following along too. Sounds like a very challenging goal to get them all in before 2012...Should be fun! Best of luck to you.

Be careful what you wish for with heavy rains I've had to give up two summits due to very heavy rains and storms...just to turn around and head back up a few weeks later. It's no fun!!!

Karl