Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jan 29th hike

Thanks

Default Jan 29th hike

Hi,

4 of us are going to hike MW next week and we are trying to figure out what trail to take. (Thinking either Ammonoosuc or Tuckerman/Lion Head)

In December of 08' we left out of Pinkham Notch and took Tuckerman Ravine to Lion Head Winter. It was a nice hike but coming down we tried a different trail close to the auto road (i forget the name). We ended up losing the trail and then ended up trudging down the auto road.

We have taken Ammonoosuc many times in the past but never this late in the year (maybe middle November at the latest). I think Ammonoosuc is more scenic but there is no escape route to the auto road if things get rough.

Im wondering how others have faired taking Ammonoosuc around this time of year, where do we park and any other helpful info you might have?

Thanks,
    J

Thanks

it is doable but you're right there is no "escape auto road."

What you could do, if you're really worried about an escape route, is stage a car at Pinkman then drive in another car around & start your hike on the Ammonoosuc ravine... head up if it gets bad well follow your steps and compass back down, or if it looks good do a traverse over the top & descend the auto road or Lion's head (which is pretty well traveled/marked so should be easy to follow... that hermit shelter at the bottom of tucks ravine is a good marker if your not in whiteout conditions )

Not sure of how many miles that would be, what speed your group hikes, if it is doable in a day etc,

Best of luck for a good day hiking
    'when it starts to hurt your nearly halfway and probably should get out those ropes & put your crampons on"

Thanks

Cool we were actually just discussing taking 2 cars up to do that.

Do you know if there is any place to park the car overnight down the Base Station road? I read that they usually don't plow all the way down to the cog railway parking lot.

Thanks for the reply
    J

Thanks

Not sure why my previous reply didnt go through but thanks for the reply smithtim.

I was wondering if anyone knows the parking situation on the Base Station road? I read that it usually isnt plowed all the way to the cog railway parking lot. We would need to park it over night.

Thanks
    Jason

Thanks

To add to my previous question about parking has anyone here ever sleded down the auto road? I read that cheap roll up sleds aren't going to cut it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jmac View Post
    To add to my previous question about parking has anyone here ever sleded down the auto road? I read that cheap roll up sleds aren't going to cut it.
    Sledding down the auto road is not allowed due to it still being an active road in the winter. Snow tractors from the observatory and State Park run up and down the mountain at any given time of day and Snow Coaches run on a frequent schedule to half way up the road. So you will constantly risk getting run over or hit when swinging around the corners at a fast pace. I know you think you'll be able to stop in time or they will be able to stop on a dime but having attempted sled trips in the past, this isn't the case. This is why even the observatory isn't allowed to sled down any longer.
    Ryan Knapp
    Staff Meteorologist/Night Observer, KMWN (Mt Washington Obs., NH)

Thanks

I know the road pretty well and can just see a snow tractor with its wide blade heading up the road - about to come around a corner and a fast moving sled comes down. There are two answers to this scene. One is the sled and rider stop quickly when they crash into the plow blade. The other is a sled with a body flying off into the air off the side of the road. Neither is a pretty sight to think about.
    Brad (a 6288 club member)
    http://bradstreet.zenfolio.com Personal Photo sales site
    http://public.fotki.com/bradbradstreet Personal photo web site
    http://public.fotki.com/MWO/saved/2012/ MWO image & video archive site 2006-2012

Thanks

Bummer. Ok how about the parking situation on the base station road? We definitely want to take the Ammonoosuc Ravine trail.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jmac View Post
    Bummer. Ok how about the parking situation on the base station road? We definitely want to take the Ammonoosuc Ravine trail.
    This is a question that comes up each year - and I do not know if the answer varies by year. I should drive over and see what the status is. Not sure I can pull that off today - but, I might give it a try.
    Brad (a 6288 club member)
    http://bradstreet.zenfolio.com Personal Photo sales site
    http://public.fotki.com/bradbradstreet Personal photo web site
    http://public.fotki.com/MWO/saved/2012/ MWO image & video archive site 2006-2012

Thanks

That would be very cool of you sir!

Thanks
    J