Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: DMOutdoors - NH 48 in 2011

Thanks

Default DMOutdoors - NH 48 in 2011

Hi everyone, I did some hiking/snowshoeing this weekend and picked up Tecumseh and Mt. Tom, my 3rd and 4th 4000ers of 2011. I'm very pleased to be have begun my quest with 4 great winter hikes, and I now really enjoy snowshoeing.

Here are my two blog posts, and I will use this thread to post the rest of my hikes relative to my goal so that I don't clutter the forum. Enjoy.

Mt. Tecumseh

Mt. Tom
    DMOutdoors

DMOutdoors - My Blog

Thanks

Congratulations on two more peaks! Looks like you had spectacular weather on Tom...but no pictures of the Presidential view? We did a loop of Field and Tom over the summer but we were completely clouded in, so it's funny to see pictures of the huge views that were hidden from us.
    I agree about Tecumseh being a hike that really makes you appreciate the beauty of a snow-covered trail. A good choice for a winter hike.

Looking forward to future reports.

Thanks

Hi Dan,

Great posts, pictures and video! I agree with Owen, Tecumseh is a great winter hike choice. After seeing your (and Owen's) report on the hike...I really wish I had done it in the winter instead. Thanks for posting...nice blog!

Karl

Thanks

Great stuff! You guys have definitely gotten off to a good start. Tecumseh and Tom are both on our list for this winter. I think both are better winter choices than summer. You've definitely gotten the bug now and I think we're going to see your numbers continuing to go up quickly this winter. Have fun!
    Mark

Keep close to Nature's heart...
    and break clear away, once in awhile,
    and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods.
    Wash your spirit clean. - John Muir

Hiking photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/mtruman42
    Hiking Blog: http://theramblingsblog.blogspot.com/
    Seek the 2011 Peak page: Mark Truman's Pledge Page

Thanks

Congratulations on bagging two more! Very nice blog posts too. Thanks for sharing.
    Bob

I never want to see a day
    That's over forty degrees
    I'd rather have it thirty,
    Twenty, ten, five and let it freeeeEEEEEEeeze!

My Seek the Peak 2014 Photo Set

Thanks

Thanks again everyone, back at it again this weekend, this time solo. I did the Hancocks. It was a great day, and I got an early start so it was a great experience, especially hiking between the summits in unbroken trail.

Mt. Hancock & South Hancock

Enjoy!
    DMOutdoors

DMOutdoors - My Blog

Thanks

Congratulations on bagging the Hancocks. I have yet to do a solo climb, but I think I'll save that for summer to minimize any risk. I had considered the Hancocks for my next climb, but to be honest, everytime I read about the ascent/descent I get pretty intimidated. I think I'll end up saving them for better weather, too.
    Great report! It's always nice to hear about someone's treks in the mountains when I'm not there.
    Keep it up!

Thanks

Way to go Dan! Soloing a 9.8 mile two peak route on unbroken trail is a great accomplishment. Looking forward to your continued adventures.
    Mark

Keep close to Nature's heart...
    and break clear away, once in awhile,
    and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods.
    Wash your spirit clean. - John Muir

Hiking photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/mtruman42
    Hiking Blog: http://theramblingsblog.blogspot.com/
    Seek the 2011 Peak page: Mark Truman's Pledge Page

Thanks

Owen - Thanks, while conditions could be different any day, I would recommend the Hancocks for a solo winter hike, the majority of the mileage is flat, even on the ridge. The only thing that really concerned me was leaving the trail, because the snow is so deep and soft off of the packed trail. The trail is well marked, and all junctions will have signs. This was actually the first solo winter hike in the whites for me. While I'm not super experienced, that is what this whole thing is about for me, I think, its gaining the experience. Since I started this, I've seen solo hikers on most trips, even on the Osceola's for my first 2 peaks. Now if I went on that one alone, I think I would of been pretty darn nervous given the conditions. I know that most solo hikers I see are experienced peak baggers, however we all have to start somewhere. I always give my family the list of all trails I'll be on, and have emergency blanket, first aid kit, fire starter and more.

Mark - Thanks, its exciting, each peak is an accomplishment, and I'm looking forward to the rest of the year. I don't have all the peaks planned out, I'm just picking as I go. However, I will be looking forward to getting back to summit Isolation and also to the summer, when my brother and I will take a shot at 2 possible dates for a moonlight presidential traverse, but we need to get some more strenuous hikes under our belt, and I need to get my brother above tree-line before we take that on.

We are also considering to plan a multi day traverse over some of the pemi peaks (owl's head, etc) It's going to be a fun year, and I'm hoping to do something again this weekend or next weekend. I don't want to be scrambling to get peaks when it comes to next winter!
    DMOutdoors

DMOutdoors - My Blog

Thanks

Hi Dan,

Great report! I'm planning a 48K peak hike early in May and you may have sold me on the Hancocks! Was the ridge trail between both peaks exposed, above tree line? Or did a drop a bit below? I'm wondering what to expect for wind on that trail? Thanks for sharing!

Thanks,
    Karl