Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: DMOutdoors - NH 48 in 2011

Thanks

Hi Karl,

Thanks, The ridge between is enclosed, and mostly flat with really no major up and downs. I was surprised, as its enclosed like some parts between the Osceola's but without the descent and ascent. It is never exposed; there are few areas where the trees are more sparse and the gusts could be felt, but you wind be fine up there with steady winds or gusts.
    DMOutdoors

DMOutdoors - My Blog

Thanks

Hi Everyone, did Lafayette and Lincoln today, my 7th and 8th peak of 2011, fun stuff. Here's the report, which includes some good video.

Lafayette & Lincoln
    DMOutdoors

DMOutdoors - My Blog

Thanks

Really liked the video. How long did it take you to hike Franconia Ridge?

Thanks

Your quest is really proving to be unstoppable. Impressive progress! That weather looks pretty nasty...you'll be a pro in no time hiking through that.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by d.b.cooperisalive View Post
    Really liked the video. How long did it take you to hike Franconia Ridge?
    Hi DB, I started up the Old Bridle Path at exactly 7am and returned to my car down the Falling Waters Trail at about 12:15pm, so just a tad over 5 hours. This was over an hour quicker than I anticipated finishing.

I was moving so quickly, I had to look back and say to myself, "wait a minute, I think that was Mt. Lincoln". Before I knew it, I realized I was at Little Haystack. Kinda funny, but I think my video shows me going right over Lincoln towards the beginning of it. Can anyone confirm that?
    DMOutdoors

DMOutdoors - My Blog

Thanks

Very nice posting. Definitely a great shot with the goggles on! Sounds like it was an adventure for sure. Making that loop in 5 hours with snow is really good time.

Did you find Falling Water's steep at all descending? I know the book says that most don't go down it due to its slope, but when I ascended it (in the fall) I didn't think it would be that bad descending.

Thanks,
    Karl

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KSearl View Post
    Very nice posting. Definitely a great shot with the goggles on! Sounds like it was an adventure for sure. Making that loop in 5 hours with snow is really good time.

Did you find Falling Water's steep at all descending? I know the book says that most don't go down it due to its slope, but when I ascended it (in the fall) I didn't think it would be that bad descending.

Thanks,
    Karl
    Hi Karl,

Thanks, I read that, and also this site mentions it, so I was expecting it, but actually I was skipping and jogging down the trail with no problem. However, it might be different in the spring or summer if the water is high. If the water falls are raging, it might be easier to negotiate the riverside trails going up, that's my only guess. I can see that a few of the crossings would be difficult in high water. In my opinion, I would much rather descend Falling Waters. I would be much more scared going down Old Bridle because of the ledges before the hut. I wanted to take a picture of that, but my camera was frozen at that specific time.
    DMOutdoors

DMOutdoors - My Blog

Thanks

Just to add to that, I descended Falling Waters Trail this past summer and it wasn't too bad. It was much more rough than the ascent and gets tiring after a while, but I've learned to expect difficult rocky trails in the Whites. Water crossings weren't bad in summer either...only reason I got wet is because I accidentally went off trail for a second

Thanks

Another great one Dan. Franconia Ridge is my favorite place in the Whites. 5 hours is really flying too - way under book time. Don't want to linger to much on the summits in the freezing cold though so plenty of motivation to keep moving. We haven't done this one in winter yet (although we had 20s with freezing fog and everything covered in rime last we we did it in September) but we really want to some day. Descending Falling Waters in winter HAS to be easier than other seasons. We've always done the loop in the other direction and I've sworn that I'll never hike down Falling Waters. Maybe with everything covered in snow though...
    Mark

Keep close to Nature's heart...
    and break clear away, once in awhile,
    and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods.
    Wash your spirit clean. - John Muir

Hiking photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/mtruman42
    Hiking Blog: http://theramblingsblog.blogspot.com/
    Seek the 2011 Peak page: Mark Truman's Pledge Page

Thanks

Hello, What a beautiful day it was for the official end to winter. I bagged Moosilauke yesterday for my 9th peak of the year, and we also got Waternomee, Mt. Jim, Mt. Blue, and South Peak, which are on some of the other peak lists...why not right?

Check out the report here. Mt. Moosilauke
    DMOutdoors

DMOutdoors - My Blog