Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: DMOutdoors - NH 48 in 2011

Thanks

Finishing the 48 - fantastic! Doing a Presidential Traverse - awesome. Doing a PT with a sunset on Madison, full moon ridge hike, full moon AND sunrise on Washington - not sure there are words to describe. Doing them all at the same time and getting to share them with your brother has got to be a day beyond what most people could ever hope for in a lifetime of hiking. So glad that everything turned out so perfectly for you. Congratulations on all your many accomplishments in the last 8-1/2 months - your reward is well earned!

All the best to Bill in his quest for the final 18. I'm sure you won't mind being there to repeat those peaks with him. I've had so much fun reading the blog, looking at the fantastic pictures and following the journey since it started. Kind of sad in a way that it's finished (which I think will be the way I'll feel when we finish the list ourselves). But when one book closes another always opens. Still hope to run into you out there on a mountain someday.

Happy trails.
    Mark

Keep close to Nature's heart...
    and break clear away, once in awhile,
    and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods.
    Wash your spirit clean. - John Muir

Hiking photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/mtruman42
    Hiking Blog: http://theramblingsblog.blogspot.com/
    Seek the 2011 Peak page: Mark Truman's Pledge Page

Thanks

Snow Miser, thank you very much.

Mark, you are so right, words cannot describe the experience. That is why I don't know how I'm going to put this one into words for you all. There is so much to write about, including our rest stops to watch the sky (and Bill's quick nap), we saw the Space Station pass by just after 9pm on Adams, which we planned to look for. Many meteors were seen, and I think we only saw 1 hiker going northbound, who we crossed on the summit of Jefferson. There were a few who we stumbled across just sitting in sleeping bags at Thunderstorm Junction who were stargazing for the night.

I had every detail planned out, including moon rise, sunset, twilight, sunrise, weather history for August, and everything went as scheduled and we were ahead of our planned time. We anticipated more cloudy weather, but with the incoming front delayed, it turned out to be the lifetime hike you mention. The incredible weather afforded us the luxury of taking several breaks and we finished in about 22 hours. The hiking we've done leading up to this really helped, as we felt great most of the night and only started to really feel it big time after Monroe. Because we were so exhausted we did not go on to Jackson and Webster, but since they are not Presidents, we opted to pass. The plan is to hit Jackson and Webster next as soon we can. The other reason is that a fresh new day would give us the energy we need to look for my lost camera!!

You're right. It is kind of a bummer actually, but the blog goes on, and we'll see what happens next. I would also like to join on a trip really soon. Thanks again for the kind comments.
    DMOutdoors

DMOutdoors - My Blog

Thanks

Dan,

Phenomenal job!!! Sounds like the mountain gods were looking over you that night. It's awesome you had such incredible weather and skies for your final traverse to make the 48! I can see how it must be a bittersweet feeling, such an accomplishment, hiking these peaks in only 8 months...but now, you ask yourself, "what's next?". You have so many options! Trail Wrights (which I don't see many people working on these days), NE100, NE4000ftrs, 52WAV, Winter 48, the Grid, redlining...or just hike for the joy of being out on the trail.

Great job and thanks for sharing your adventure this year with us. Keep us posted on your next trek!

Karl

Thanks

Dan,

It really is incredible how quickly you were able to complete the list! Congratulations! It's definitely something to be very proud of. Glad to see all the weather went better than you planned for. Looking forward to hearing about your future adventures.

Thanks

Dan,
    Great job on bagging the 48 - 4000 footers in an amazing 8 1/2 months. It was a lot fun following your progress from beginning to end. This is the first time we followed someone going for the 48 on this forum in such a short amount of time. It is always good getting new perspectives on the trails too. Enjoy your accomplishment! There are a lot of peaks waiting for you......

Donna
    "If you can't find time to fix it right, when will you find time to fix it again."

Thanks

Hi Donna,

Thanks a bunch. The support has been great, and everyone around me has become intrigued by the feat. I guess I'm a bit taken back by the amount of people proud to see what I've done. I'm definitely enjoying my accomplishment, and happen to be on vacation next week, so you can imagine I won't be sitting around. I'll be start enjoying it with a revisit to the Kinsmans tomorrow morning.

And Karl, you're right so much to work towards. Tomorrow, we'll get 2 more for my brother, and I go for 25 on the TW72, and add 2 August X's to my grid!!

Thanks Owen, hope to join you for one this winter.
    DMOutdoors

DMOutdoors - My Blog

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DMOutdoors View Post
    Thanks Owen, hope to join you for one this winter.
    Looking forward to it!