Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: DMOutdoors - NH 48 in 2011

Thanks

If you want some incentive to go back to Avalon on a good day check out this album: https://picasaweb.google.com/mtruman42/MtAvalon21608#. It's spectacular up there in any season but winter is my favorite. Our first time up was in the end of October and we had snow on the trail from about 1/2 way up and 6 inches on the summit. The Presi's were in full winter garb and it was one of the most spectacular places I'd ever been (especially for so little effort).

Pemi loop or Presi Traverse = spectacular. We've done both as hut-to-huts and they are the two best trips in the Whites we've done. We also tried a Pemi loop as a backpack a couple of years ago and got cut short by an interesting series of events (the trip report is on the forum). Short story is that both places are awesome.

Sorry - don't mean to hijack your thread. Can't wait to hear about your next adventures!
    Mark

Keep close to Nature's heart...
    and break clear away, once in awhile,
    and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods.
    Wash your spirit clean. - John Muir

Hiking photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/mtruman42
    Hiking Blog: http://theramblingsblog.blogspot.com/
    Seek the 2011 Peak page: Mark Truman's Pledge Page

Thanks

Hi Everyone,

I am behind a couple of posts on the blog! Work is a nightmare, and likely, I will get behind some more if I keep going at it this weekend. I'm also planning a full vacation very soon

I grabbed Mt. Hale on Sunday for my 20th peak. My brother, my 7-year old niece, and our friend Sean enjoyed the great weather for this short trip. The little one did great as we thought she would, and it was nice to be able to grab a peak without a strenuous effort for a change.
    DMOutdoors

DMOutdoors - My Blog

Thanks

Hi All,

I've caught up on my two previous blog posts. 3 weekends in a row now, and having a blast. Head over to check out my reports on Flume & Liberty and Mt. Hale with my 7-year old niece, brother, and friend.

This Saturday, my brother and I did Mt. Isolation for my 21st peak. In October 2010, we hiked in and camped over night at the shelter (before I even announced my quest). That time, it was freezing, sleeting and snowing, and we decided to not push the summit having arrived at the rocky branch crossing too late in the afternoon. I have to say we made a good decision that time, but this time we knew exactly what to expect. Because of that, we hit Isolation hard and had a great time. It was humid on the way up, we had good views from the summit, then it started to pour for the hike out, but we were ready and had an absolute blast. For my fellow MWO hikers, heres the Isolation Album before the post, because I might not get to this entry this week.

27 to go!
    DMOutdoors

DMOutdoors - My Blog

Thanks

Congrats on your speedy progress?

How's that Rocky Branch Trail grouse? Is it still there? (If you don't know what I'm talking about, then you didn't run into it...if it was there, you'd have known, as it makes its presence obvious).

Trish

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TrishandAlex View Post
    Congrats on your speedy progress?

How's that Rocky Branch Trail grouse? Is it still there? (If you don't know what I'm talking about, then you didn't run into it...if it was there, you'd have known, as it makes its presence obvious).

Trish
    HAHA. I had to look that one up because we didn't come across it! But that is awesome. Thanks for the congrats, and I am patiently awaiting some SAFE wildlife encounters/viewing on the trail along the way, but so far after 21 peaks, I have not seen anything other than friendly birds and certainly no aggressive Grouses. Only the 3 bears and moose I saw while driving to the trail head.
    DMOutdoors

DMOutdoors - My Blog

Thanks

I'm almost sad you didn't have a run-in with it. I don't think the little bugger actually does any harm...seems to be all bluff and no actual peck. Experiencing the Evil Grouse is quite the adventure; in a way, you would have enjoyed it. Maybe he passed on.

Thanks

Hi everyone, I hope you all had a great Fourth of July weekend and took advantage of the great weather. I made a significant push on my 2011 quest for 48 by completing an overnight traverse of the Wildcats, Carters, and Mount Moriah, bagging 6 peaks. The views were absolutely breathtaking and it was an experience I know will be a highlight of this adventure.

You can read about my experience and view the pictures here. 29 done and 19 to go!
    DMOutdoors

DMOutdoors - My Blog

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DMOutdoors View Post
    Hi everyone, I hope you all had a great Fourth of July weekend and took advantage of the great weather. I made a significant push on my 2011 quest for 48 by completing an overnight traverse of the Wildcats, Carters, and Mount Moriah, bagging 6 peaks. The views were absolutely breathtaking and it was an experience I know will be a highlight of this adventure.

You can read about my experience and view the pictures here. 29 done and 19 to go!
    Fantastic weekend indeed! Why just get to the halfway point when you can add 5 more on as well. Looks like the conditions were just perfect for this hike. Five of the six you got are still on our list (we did Moriah last year) and we've been contemplating your approach for the rest of them. Can't think of a much better way to spend a weekend.

Also wondering how you like the hammock. Have you used it before or was this the first time. Seems like a really good option.

Good luck with your remaining 19. After the first six months you've had the next six should be a breeze!!
    Mark

Keep close to Nature's heart...
    and break clear away, once in awhile,
    and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods.
    Wash your spirit clean. - John Muir

Hiking photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/mtruman42
    Hiking Blog: http://theramblingsblog.blogspot.com/
    Seek the 2011 Peak page: Mark Truman's Pledge Page

Thanks

Great report and photos! You guys are really bagging those peaks quickly. I like your idea of hammock camping, and am curious like Mark is to hear your thoughts. Good luck with your quest for the remaining ones!
    Bob

I never want to see a day
    That's over forty degrees
    I'd rather have it thirty,
    Twenty, ten, five and let it freeeeEEEEEEeeze!

My Seek the Peak 2014 Photo Set

Thanks

Hello,

Thank you, despite how tough it was, we had such a great time. We were planning this for a couple of weeks, and couldn't wait to get out there and do this. We read a lot about the steep sections before, so we knew what to expect and it was a fun challenge. I'm trying to finish as soon as I can. I'm trying to finish before the snow comes, and I have something in mind for the end of the year, this winter.

I have been focusing on more lightweight gear, so that is the reason I picked up a hammock. I wanted to get the Hennessey with the no-see-um. I had thought REI carried them in stock because I seen it there before. One of us was NOT carrying a tent, so I got the Eno Singlenest (18oz). I had a headnet, so that's all I needed for this one. We used a rainfly from my brothers lightwight Nemo tent, and another rainfly as tarps. I've never slept in a hammock before. We set up the hammocks on Friday night for a test run at my place in Belmont. I didn't sleep well Friday night or on the mountain. I think it will take some getting used to. I would imagine it depends on the person and how its set up. I've read that it may not be good for bad knees too, but as far as lightweight goes, it seems to be the best option.
    DMOutdoors

DMOutdoors - My Blog

11. The Following User Says Thank You to DMOutdoors For This Useful Post:

Snow Miser (07-05-2011)