Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: DMOutdoors - NH 48 in 2011

Thanks

Great traverse and bagging 6 more peaks! Wildcat Ridge has some of the best views in the White Mountains. You are moving right along and I am sure you'll reach your goal of finishing the 48 by year's end. Nice photo of the snake - did you identify it? What kind of camera did you replace the one you lost?

Donna
    "If you can't find time to fix it right, when will you find time to fix it again."

Thanks

Thanks! Yes, it's looking good, it's exciting. We believed it to be a garter snake. Looking at the 11 species found in New Hampshire, I guess it would be an eastern garter snake or a common garter snake. I ended up buying an Olympus Tough TG-810. It's the newer model of the one I had, nothing really different, except dropping the name stylus for some reason. My first one was still great, they last a long time, my brothers first one he bought more than 3 years ago and is still working. His wife uses it.
    DMOutdoors

DMOutdoors - My Blog

Thanks

Hi All,

This past weekend I hiked Mt. Whiteface and Mt. Passaconaway to reach my 30th and 31st. This was a really fun hike, and all of that made up for the fact the summits are view-less. It might be just another couple summits, but the experience and thrill will be remembered mostly.

Mark, your trip report from last weekend really set the stage for our hike. Being an hour from Winnisquam (as opposed to the typical 2hr or more), it was the best choice to get two peaks and be back to enjoy the full afternoon with family.
    DMOutdoors

DMOutdoors - My Blog

Thanks

Congrats Dan! You're making great progress. It's hard to believe we were both at 15 just two months ago.
    Glad you're getting out and enjoying it.

Thanks

Great stuff Dan! Your description definitely captured the feel that we had on our hike as well. Nice being able to get a 6:00 start and a 6:10 time means you guys were screaming the whole day. We definitely took our time (which we always try to do) but even with some jogging on the way down we felt our time was pretty good at 8:00. We might have been able to make better time if there had been tubing and a lobster feast at the end for us though 31 down - 17 to go. Rock on!
    Mark

Keep close to Nature's heart...
    and break clear away, once in awhile,
    and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods.
    Wash your spirit clean. - John Muir

Hiking photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/mtruman42
    Hiking Blog: http://theramblingsblog.blogspot.com/
    Seek the 2011 Peak page: Mark Truman's Pledge Page

Thanks

Dan,
    Another great day in the mountains. Looking forward to taking on the Blueberry Ledges one day. Keep 'em coming! Lobster feast after a long day hiking - now that's really living...

Donna
    "If you can't find time to fix it right, when will you find time to fix it again."

Thanks

Thanks everyone for the comments and for following. I just confirmed my vacation for the last week of August. I'm certain that I will have this completed 4 months ahead of my goal. It's hard to believe what I have done thus far. I can certainly admire all those who can hike these mountains quicker, faster, or in every month of the year.

I have an idea on how I want to end this journey. It will take a lot of hiking each of the next 4 weekends, and also will depend on perfect weather on a date in mid-august. It would actually be great to use my vacation to hike on the Cohos, M&M trail, or possibly AT for a few days or enjoy some paddling somewhere since I've only gotten out once on the kayak.
    DMOutdoors

DMOutdoors - My Blog

Thanks

Happy hump day people! My legs are just about un-sore now, and I've put the past weekend's awesome experience into words as I hiked Mt. Carrigain on Saturday afternoon, and then hiked along the Northern Pemis to get Garfield, Galehead, the Twins, and Zealand.

Because of my unique approach this weekend, these two hikes seem to feel like one whole thing. So now just the Bonds, Owl's Head, Trips, and 5 Presi's.
    DMOutdoors

DMOutdoors - My Blog

Thanks

Wow - what a weekend! You're just killin' em lately and this is the best. Love the quote: "I still don't know which I enjoyed more, the view of the days first rays to the east, or the morning moonlight over the Franconia Ridge. I'll let you ponder that one." Yeah, I'm still pondering that one. Guess I just need to see it for myself to decide.

Nice having the choice of 5 Presi's to finish on. Anything but Owl's Head I know you've made your choice but won't spoil it for those that haven't visited the blog yet. Wish we could get out there to grab one of your final ones with you...
    Mark

Keep close to Nature's heart...
    and break clear away, once in awhile,
    and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods.
    Wash your spirit clean. - John Muir

Hiking photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/mtruman42
    Hiking Blog: http://theramblingsblog.blogspot.com/
    Seek the 2011 Peak page: Mark Truman's Pledge Page

Thanks

I really enjoyed writing these last two posts. The beauty of the views I had helped with that I think. I keep looking at those pictures.

I am doing the Bonds this weekend with my brother. I think we're starting in the dark to beat the heat, and might do Owl's Head and the Trips the following weekend.

As for finishing on the 5 presi's, its going to be awesome, can't wait to get back up there and get them all this time and I'm banking on perfect weather. If you look at the moon calendar, its a chance to end it with a moonlight Presidential Traverse, and I've been thinking about it for a while. If it goes well, my last picture might look close to the one of me early morning with Franconia Ridge background and the 75% waning gibbous moon.
    DMOutdoors

DMOutdoors - My Blog