Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: DMOutdoors - NH 48 in 2011

Thanks

This weekend, my brother and I hiked the 3 Bonds. We went out and back from Lincoln Woods. It was a tremendous practice for what is to come, as well as a great experience of the Bonds. Hiking in the middle of night, experiencing the Bonds in both overcast and drizzle as well as bright sunshine and a cool breeeze, and standing on Bondcliff are just a few of the things that highlight this one. We started at 2:45 and ended in 12 hours. After a quick and refreshing dip in the Pemigewasset, we had a large pizza woofed down, and were sound asleep back in Tilton around 6ish, and didn't wake up until Sunday. 40 peaks down.

You can check out the album here, and stay tuned for my entry on this, as it will include a 14-minute video of our experience.
    DMOutdoors

DMOutdoors - My Blog

Thanks

Haven't checked in a while -- nice to see you're already at 40. Do you know which peak you'll finish on? Would love to be there if we can.

ETA: LOL, guess I should have read the previous posts before writing my question. Have fun on the Presidentials and congratulations! See you at the awards ceremony in April.

Thanks

Another fantastic day! Those are 12 hours well spent for sure. Getting to 40 has to feel great - particularly doing it with these three. The pics are great - particularly the classic Bondcliff shots. Looking forward to following the home stretch...
    Mark

Keep close to Nature's heart...
    and break clear away, once in awhile,
    and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods.
    Wash your spirit clean. - John Muir

Hiking photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/mtruman42
    Hiking Blog: http://theramblingsblog.blogspot.com/
    Seek the 2011 Peak page: Mark Truman's Pledge Page

Thanks

Thank you. I look forward to meeting some of you there for sure.

Mark, this was an awesome hike. 40 is amazing. I almost went for them on my last hike, and I kind of wish I did now since I had so much daylight left, but that just made this one feel just as rewarding.

I am planning to hike Owl's Head on Saturday. So far its just me. Next weekend its the Trips, then the presidential traverse on the 13th. My last will be Monroe, but we will be hitting Eisenhower and Pierce for my brother and our friend.
    DMOutdoors

DMOutdoors - My Blog

Thanks

I'm looking forward to this hike with my husband. I have gotten into hiking much more since we met.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lizdavishomes View Post
    I'm looking forward to this hike with my husband. I have gotten into hiking much more since we met.
    HI Liz, I hope you enjoy it!

Owl's Head was my 41st this past weekend. It was a foggy start and everything was pretty wet most of the morning. The Black Pond Bushwhack in the early morning was quite an experience, and it actually worked out well for me, in terms of not getting lost. Although it didn't save time, I don't think I really lost any either. I'm just happy I succeeded with using a compass. Although I always carry one, its the first time I have needed it.

Some of the trails I have enjoyed the most are the ones less maintained. The Pemi Wilderness is awesome.
    DMOutdoors

DMOutdoors - My Blog

Thanks

On Saturday, we hiked North and Middle Tripyramid. We anticipated a slightly easier hike, but the guide book's description is spot on regarding tough sections with rough footing. We didn't really do anything mid-week for exercise; it was an easy hike, but the humidity made us tire easily. The rocks had a glaze of wet moss most of the time make rock hopping chancy. We started at 5am and ended at 11:45am. For the whole trip report and photos click here

So next weekend ends my quest, and you may have heard, its a presidential traverse. After taking on the Northern Presidentials in 2010, I'm looking forward to getting back up there, now with more experience, and this time leading the 2 that have hiked half of the 48 with me, and will be sharing Monroe, my last peak, with them. It will be 7 weekends in a row I have hiked. I never thought I would be so lucky to finish in 8.5 months. It's clearly caught on as an addiction.

I'm probably bringing a shot glass and a bit of my Glenlivet to celebrate, maybe cook out or something with family on Sunday. Anyone do anything special to celebrate their 48?
    DMOutdoors

DMOutdoors - My Blog

Thanks

You guys have had an amazing journey. 8.5 months for round 1 is fantastic! Finishing in the Presis will definitely be sweet. Will be hoping for great weather for you this weekend. I'll look north on Saturday and raise a glass to salute your finish. As to our finish celebration plans I guess we'll have to wait a few years to see how that turns out. Best of luck Saturday!!
    Mark

Keep close to Nature's heart...
    and break clear away, once in awhile,
    and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods.
    Wash your spirit clean. - John Muir

Hiking photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/mtruman42
    Hiking Blog: http://theramblingsblog.blogspot.com/
    Seek the 2011 Peak page: Mark Truman's Pledge Page

Thanks

Hi Everyone,

I hope you all had a great weekend. As most of you have been following, I completed the 48 4000-footers on Mt. Monroe Sunday morning, just after sunrise and climbing over the Presidentials by moonlight. I as I stood here looking at my final peak in the glow of the morning sun, its hard to describe what I was feeling...excitement, the challenge, and ultimately accomplishment.
    https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...eat=directlink

Here is my summit picture...

Here is the celebratory shot of my Glenlivet Nadurra

My pictures might be beautiful, but the pictures simply don't do it justice. Here is me on the summit of Mt. Washington at 5am, under clear skies and a 100% full moon. Not many get to experience the summit Mt. Washington with a full moon and spectacular sunrise in the same moment. Not to mention, we had the summit all to ourselves.

Be sure to check out my full album: NH 48 Moonlight Presidential Traverse

Thank you all for following this thread here. What's next? Not sure, but my brother reached his halfway point at 24, and sailed right to 30 on this trip, and since I finished in 8.5 months, there's still time for him to do them in a year. Thanks again for your support.

PS I tried to post the pictures directly in the thread, but was having issues.
    Last edited by DMOutdoors; 08-15-2011 at 01:06 PM. Reason: Link problem
    DMOutdoors

DMOutdoors - My Blog

Thanks

Congratulations Dan! Great set of pics, especially your celebratory shot. Good luck on your next adventure, whatever that may be. Thanks for sharing with us.
    Bob

I never want to see a day
    That's over forty degrees
    I'd rather have it thirty,
    Twenty, ten, five and let it freeeeEEEEEEeeze!

My Seek the Peak 2014 Photo Set