Thread: boot spur link

Hybrid View

Thanks

Default boot spur link

hey guys seeing if anyone has climbed the boot spur link from hermit lakes recently or in the past? wondering how technical it would be this time of year? could I get by with msr lightning ascents or do I need crampons and Ice tools? Was thinking about doing some backcountry snowboarding with a friend thursday in the gulf of slides

Thanks

Crampons for sure, but probably not ice tools. Just a single mountaineering axe. I'm not really sure what happens to the Boot Spur Link in the winter and whether or not it is in a slide path.

Why wouldn't you just hike direct to the Gulf of Slides? That is what most people do. Assuming there is enough snow you can just boot pack up the Gulf of Slides, giving attention to avalanche conditions of course.
    Bill
    Next up: Vermont City Marathon: May, 2011
    EasternLight

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Bill O For This Useful Post:

freighttrain (02-09-2011)

Thanks

I was gonna stay at hermit lake but its gonna be to cold for my taste so I will be hitting jay peak instead thanks for you input Bill!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bill O View Post
    Crampons for sure, but probably not ice tools. Just a single mountaineering axe. I'm not really sure what happens to the Boot Spur Link in the winter and whether or not it is in a slide path.
    I've never heard so, but it is very very low traveled and has the potential for troubles to the untrained eye in a south wind.......
    "when it starts to hurt you might be nearly halfway, now its probably a good idea take out those ropes and put your crampons on!"

-Tim: MWOBS donor, AMC member, and steadily but surely working on joining the AMC 48 in winter committee