Thread: Lonesome Lake From the Basin 2/12/11

Hybrid View

Thanks

Default Lonesome Lake From the Basin 2/12/11

On February 12, 2011 Mike and Donna hiked 5.6 miles (RT) to Lonesome Lake via the Basin Cascade and Cascade Brook Trails. We began at 11 am with a temperature of 11 degrees. The well packed trail crossed the Cascade Brook (which is the drainage for Lonesome Lake) several times.

We had lunch at the AMC hut, where it was standing room only because of a boy scout troop spending the night at the lodge. We bundled up and ventured across the snow covered, frozen lake.

By the time we reached the north shore of Lonesome Lake the snow and wind intensified. Upon returning to the opposite shore we were fully involved in a snowstorm which obscured the views to the Cannonballs.

We returned to the trailhead by 4 pm after talking to several people along the way.

Our hike in pictures:
    http://jimmylegs.smugmug.com/Nature/...15914766_XS49d
    "If you can't find time to fix it right, when will you find time to fix it again."

Thanks

Hey Donna & Mike,

Great photo slide show! Looks like you got some great views of the surrounding peaks. I'm sure the wind was pretty brutal. I love hiking in snowstorms though...although high wind snowstorms can be a different story!

Thanks for sharing!

Karl

Thanks

Donna and Mike,

I agree, great slide show! The area back in there looks so nice with all the snow. It is also nice that you were able to end the hike in the snow. I'm with Karl on that one, I love hiking when it's actually snowing too.

Thanks for posting!
    Bob

I never want to see a day
    That's over forty degrees
    I'd rather have it thirty,
    Twenty, ten, five and let it freeeeEEEEEEeeze!

My Seek the Peak 2013 Photo Set

Thanks

Thanks for sharing!

Thanks

Nice Donna & Mike! Figured these TRs would start appearing soon. Great first one! Lonesome Lake is such a nice hike in the winter. We're definitely going to have to do it by this route instead of from Lafayette Place. Looking forward to the rest...
    Mark

Keep close to Nature's heart...
    and break clear away, once in awhile,
    and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods.
    Wash your spirit clean. - John Muir

Hiking photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/mtruman42
    Hiking Blog: http://theramblingsblog.blogspot.com/
    Seek the 2011 Peak page: Mark Truman's Pledge Page

Thanks

Great pictures! Thanks for sharing. Lonesome Lake is a great winter hike...nice reward at the end. The Franconia Ridge looks so impressive over the lake, especially when it's shrouded in clouds like in yours pictures.

Thanks

great shots and thanks for sharing

Quote Originally Posted by Snow Miser View Post
    Donna and Mike,

......... I'm with Karl on that one, I love hiking when it's actually snowing too.

......!

Yes that really makes it enjoyable and reminds you that you are hiking on a mountain. So I'll 2nd that!

I also like a good cold day ( < 10 degree morning) with enough wind to make it fun and a bit of a challenge, but not so much that you're in whiteout conditions
    "when it starts to hurt you might be nearly halfway, now its probably a good idea take out those ropes and put your crampons on!"

-Tim: MWOBS donor, AMC member, and steadily but surely working on joining the AMC 48 in winter committee

8. The Following User Says Thank You to surferclimber For This Useful Post:

Jimmy Legs and Little d (02-28-2011)