Thread: Training for STP

Thanks

Default Training for STP

I am a newbie to STP and I am bringing a lot of friends. Can some experienced folks tell us their training program so we can get started. We are all in pretty good shape, but want to make sure. Thanks!!

Thanks

There are lots of threads on this topic here - both in the STP forum and the hikes forum - on preparing for hiking Mt Washington. I won't try to repeat things here. For physical training our approach is to to lots of other hiking beforehand. The more miles you get in the better. Hike some smaller mountains or find somewhere close to home where you've got some hills and get your mileage in going up and down them. Basically get in good aerobic condition and get your legs strong. Also make sure you read the suggestions about clothing and gear prep. Mt Washington can be very nasty at any time of the year and you need to be prepared. We always have rain gear, extra fleece layers, winter hat and gloves in our packs even in July on the high summits. Don't need them much of the time but sure good to have them when you do. Good luck!
    Mark

Keep close to Nature's heart...
    and break clear away, once in awhile,
    and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods.
    Wash your spirit clean. - John Muir

Hiking photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/mtruman42
    Hiking Blog: http://theramblingsblog.blogspot.com/
    Seek the 2011 Peak page: Mark Truman's Pledge Page

Thanks

If you are more apt to head into the gym, spend some time on the stairmaster. Or if you are like me and hate that machine, get on the treadmill. Do a fast walking pace (3.0 or better) for a good hour. Slowly increase the incline more and more to closer simulate the long uphills you'll be doing. The more often I doing this in my training, the sooner I reach the max incline on the treadmill and sustain this for longer periods of time.
    Summit Club Member
    Seek the Peak 11
    Seek the Peak 10: Lions Head/Tuckermans Ravine
    Seek the Peak 09: Boot Spur (redux)
    Seek the Peak 08: Huntington Ravine
    Seek the Peak 07: Tuckermans Ravine/Lions Head
    My 48: Washington (07/07, 07/08, 07/09, 09/09, 07/10), Lafayette (08/08, 08/09), Lincoln (08/08, 08/09), Pierce (07/10), Carrigain (09/10), Cannon (10/10), Jackson (11/10), Field (11/10), Tom (01/11)

Thanks

Welcome to your first STP! You and your friends will have a great time at this event.

I do much of what Mark suggested. Try to get in as many hikes around home as possible. There are a lot of hills where I live and just getting out as much as possible to power walk them at a steady four mph pace for an hour does wonders for cardio fitness.

And definitely read the suggestions for being prepared for any type of weather. It's better to have a slightly heavier pack with things you may, or may not need, than to not have them at all. Also, bring plenty of water. Even though you can refill on the summit, you don't want to run out on the trail. There's not much worse than climbing the summit cone thirsty as heck, especially if it's sunny.
    Bob

I never want to see a day
    That's over forty degrees
    I'd rather have it thirty,
    Twenty, ten, five and let it freeeeEEEEEEeeze!

My Seek the Peak 2014 Photo Set

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Snow Miser For This Useful Post:

Saddlebronze (03-13-2011)