Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Appalachian Trail - 2011 Thru Hikers

Thanks

Looks like he stopped between Woods Hole and Blood Mountain shelters tonight. Tomorrow morning is a climb up Blood Mountain first thing.
    Summit Club Member
    Seek the Peak 11
    Seek the Peak 10: Lions Head/Tuckermans Ravine
    Seek the Peak 09: Boot Spur (redux)
    Seek the Peak 08: Huntington Ravine
    Seek the Peak 07: Tuckermans Ravine/Lions Head
    My 48: Washington (07/07, 07/08, 07/09, 09/09, 07/10), Lafayette (08/08, 08/09), Lincoln (08/08, 08/09), Pierce (07/10), Carrigain (09/10), Cannon (10/10), Jackson (11/10), Field (11/10), Tom (01/11)

Thanks

Chris - please PM me with the info too. Thanks.
    Mark

Keep close to Nature's heart...
    and break clear away, once in awhile,
    and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods.
    Wash your spirit clean. - John Muir

Hiking photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/mtruman42
    Hiking Blog: http://theramblingsblog.blogspot.com/
    Seek the 2011 Peak page: Mark Truman's Pledge Page

Thanks

Pm sent Mark..

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bill O View Post
    Does anyone know if the best place to check for updates is his facebook page?

Bethany his Fiance is posting updates on his wall.

Thanks

For those of you who know Corey, could someone give some quick background info on him (age, hiking background, affiliation with MWObs, etc.) if you know it...just for curiosity's sake? I don't know him but I am following along...It's very interesting to watch and to cheer him on, so it would be great to know a little more about him.

It looks like he's descending Blood Mountain (highest peak in GA, 4458' per Wikipedia) right now.

Thanks,
    Karl

Thanks

He hasn't done a check-in since 9:26am. I wonder if he's down to Gainesville Hwy yet?
    Bob

I never want to see a day
    That's over forty degrees
    I'd rather have it thirty,
    Twenty, ten, five and let it freeeeEEEEEEeeze!

My Seek the Peak 2013 Photo Set

Thanks

Corey is a single fellow who lives outside Boston with his fianc?e. A couple of years ago he really go into hiking and was asking all sorts of questions about trails and equipment - summer and winter. By that point it seems he had already decided he wanted to do the AT and was gaining experience and in training. He went up to Grey Knob cabin in the winter a couple of years ago and it was brutal. But, he loved it. the harder the better.

According to his fianc?e, Bethany, he has been talking about doing the AT for years. I am guessing he is an Obs member, but not sure. We made contact online and most of our conversations and tips/hints have been through email. A few weeks ago he quit his job - packed up his pack and gear - and the two of them headed south for him to start on March 1st. He has to be back north for their wedding this fall - then he goes back to college for a degree in Environmental Science (I think or it is along that vein). So, this hike is a dream and after it his life changes into a new direction which is exciting also.

A really nice guy and it is fun to watch him hit the trail finally and have a go at it. SPOT is supposed to do checkins on his Facebook page but I have not seen it working. His SPOT page is working fine. Bethany is posting updates she is getting directly from him as text messages, etc. He is carrying several memory cards for his camera. When one fills up he will send it to Bethany to be uploaded.
    Brad (a 6288 club member)
    http://bradstreet.zenfolio.com Personal Photo sales site
    http://public.fotki.com/bradbradstreet Personal photo web site
    http://public.fotki.com/MWO/saved/2012/ MWO image & video archive site 2006-2012

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Brad For This Useful Post:

Bill O (03-04-2011), KSearl (03-04-2011), Snow Miser (03-04-2011)

Thanks

The Spot has a couple options on it. There's the "Custom" button and the "Check-in."

For those that haven't seen my maps when I've used it, I have the messages set up so that I hit the "Check-in" usually at the start and end of each hike/day. The message says something like "I've started on the trail or I've reached my destination for the day."

The "Custom" message I use for summits and other interesting places, so that I can come back to them online, ad other folks can see them. The message usually says "Hey, I've stopped for lunch or found a really nice spot to take a break."

Unfortunately, the Spot website only lets you set up your profile to publish the Check-in messages to Facebook, not the Custom ones.

If he's under heavy tree cover, it could prevent the Spot from doing its broadcast every 15 min. I've found that the Spot II (latest generation device) is much more reliable, but still not 100% at being able to send out the messages. This is way we've not seen an update for a few hours on the Tracking Map.
    Summit Club Member
    Seek the Peak 11
    Seek the Peak 10: Lions Head/Tuckermans Ravine
    Seek the Peak 09: Boot Spur (redux)
    Seek the Peak 08: Huntington Ravine
    Seek the Peak 07: Tuckermans Ravine/Lions Head
    My 48: Washington (07/07, 07/08, 07/09, 09/09, 07/10), Lafayette (08/08, 08/09), Lincoln (08/08, 08/09), Pierce (07/10), Carrigain (09/10), Cannon (10/10), Jackson (11/10), Field (11/10), Tom (01/11)

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlueDog For This Useful Post:

Charlie (03-04-2011), Snow Miser (03-04-2011)

Thanks

I agree, it's fun to follow one person.
    Last edited by Bill O; 03-04-2011 at 04:00 PM.
    Bill
    Next up: Vermont City Marathon: May, 2011
    EasternLight

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Snow Miser View Post
    He hasn't done a check-in since 9:26am. I wonder if he's down to Gainesville Hwy yet?
    Bob can you please PM me the information in order for me to view his progress.

Thanks
    Armando