Thread: Exploring the World of Blogging

Hybrid View

Thanks

Default Exploring the World of Blogging

It would be terrific if folks could provide some comments about their first-hand experience with blogging.

I've recently set up a Blog as a means to summarize some of my hiking adventures, but I'm quite uncertain if blogging is a worthwhile venture. Perhaps there might be folks (in addition to me) who would be very interested in what others have to say about the world of blogging.
    Last edited by 1HappyHiker; 03-13-2011 at 03:37 PM.
    //////////////////////////////////////////////////
    John

My Blogs:

http://1happyhiker.blogspot.com/
    http://2small2bbig.blogspot.com/

My Facebook Page:
    http://www.facebook.com/1HappyHikerNH

Thanks

Sorry John, I don't know anything about blogging...

But, we were just talking about you today at the MWO lunch in Mystic. We were just hoping that all was OK, we haven't seen you on the boards.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KathyC For This Useful Post:

1HappyHiker (03-14-2011), Anna LeBlanc (03-13-2011), Snow Miser (03-14-2011)

Thanks

Interesting topic... I've started so many blogs over time and never had the discipline to keep up with it. That being said, I've started setting one up myself. Mainly, my effort is to learn a new content management software and figured giving a blog another go is a way to keep my interest.

As far as reports and such, its really just an extension of the forum here. Blogs that I read, I've found that those that can keep it short and to the point get more of my attention. If a post goes on for pages and pages, I'll bookmark it with the intention of coming back to read it and rarely do that.
    Summit Club Member
    Seek the Peak 11
    Seek the Peak 10: Lions Head/Tuckermans Ravine
    Seek the Peak 09: Boot Spur (redux)
    Seek the Peak 08: Huntington Ravine
    Seek the Peak 07: Tuckermans Ravine/Lions Head
    My 48: Washington (07/07, 07/08, 07/09, 09/09, 07/10), Lafayette (08/08, 08/09), Lincoln (08/08, 08/09), Pierce (07/10), Carrigain (09/10), Cannon (10/10), Jackson (11/10), Field (11/10), Tom (01/11)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueDog For This Useful Post:

1HappyHiker (03-14-2011)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KathyC View Post
    Sorry John, I don't know anything about blogging...

But, we were just talking about you today at the MWO lunch in Mystic. We were just hoping that all was OK, we haven't seen you on the boards.
    Kathy, thanks so much for your response . . . greatly appreciated, as always!

I've been well, but I've had to prioritize my time which has meant that a few things are not receiving as much attention as before. Also, during the winter months, I spend a chunk of my time XC-skiing, which means less time spent hiking.
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueDog View Post
    Interesting topic . . . Blogs that I read, I've found that those that can keep it short and to the point get more of my attention . . .
    Thanks Blue Dog!
    Your comment quoted above confirms my suspicion that Blogs get more attention if they are short and to the point. If I continue further into the "Blogging World", that will be a goal that I'll strive for.
    //////////////////////////////////////////////////
    John

My Blogs:

http://1happyhiker.blogspot.com/
    http://2small2bbig.blogspot.com/

My Facebook Page:
    http://www.facebook.com/1HappyHikerNH

Thanks

John,
    We don't have a blog either but we do love to read others especially if it concerns hiking in New England. Saw your blog last week. Looks very nice. As Kathy mentioned we had been wondering where you had been. Now we know. It seems a lot of hiking reports and photos are now going on Facebook and the hiking forums aren't quite what they were a year or so ago. That's a shame. Need a lot of time to keep up on everything now a days.....

Donna
    "If you can't find time to fix it right, when will you find time to fix it again."

Thanks

Hi John,

I'm really enjoying your posts!

I personally love blogging. Even if I recieved no visitors, I would still enjoy doing it.

I started my blog almost a year ago now. My wife new how much I was enjoying hiking, so she suggested it. I've never been a good writer, nor have I liked writing in the past. However, writing about hiking has turned into one of my favorite pastimes. My blog is a little all over the place with respect to content (equipment, trip reports, nature quotes, etc.), but I figure it's what I like to write about...so it works for me. I enjoy sharing all my thoughts on the subject, so my own blog page was a perfect fit.

I must say that blogging really did introduce me to so many great people. It's because of my blog that I started to become more involved in these hiking forums (where I've met so many great people).

I read a ton of blogs now. Not sure what attracts me to certain ones. I suppose I enjoy hiking, outdoors and New England in general, and that what I go for. Great pictures certainly catch my attention too. Your blog has fantastic pictures and reports.

My suggestion to you would be, if you enjoy writing it, continue it. I'll certainly continue reading!

Karl