Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mount Washington Observatory Summit Volunteer 3/23-30/2011

Thanks

Great stuff!! Looking forward to the Friday (and subsequent) installments
    Mark

Keep close to Nature's heart...
    and break clear away, once in awhile,
    and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods.
    Wash your spirit clean. - John Muir

Hiking photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/mtruman42
    Hiking Blog: http://theramblingsblog.blogspot.com/
    Seek the 2011 Peak page: Mark Truman's Pledge Page

Thanks

Default Friday on the Summit

Thanks all for following along! I highly recommend this volunteer thing!

If You Don't Like Ice and Snow, You Know Where You can Go!

Rime Forming Outside the Window

Tonight's Main Course: Curried Chicken, Stir Fry Vegetables and Shell Pasta

Dessert: Mile High Apple Pie

We Finally Came Out of the Clouds Near Sunset

Looking East Towards Wildcat Ski Area

The Observatory Tower

Day's End

Night, Night!

The wind was blowing 55-60 knots when I took the sunset pictures, that is about 65-70mph. I had to lean about 70 degrees into the wind to keep my footing and when I turned my back to it it blew my 210lb frame across the deck. I managed to stay on my feet. The next time you hear, "We climbed such and such a mountain and it was blowin' 100mph!" you can tell them I said, "Yeah. Right!"

KDT
    Last edited by KD Talbot; 03-25-2011 at 09:16 PM.

Thanks

Default Agiocochook Says No!

I got up early this morning in anticipation of the Edu-trip that was to bring 9 photographers led by Jim Salgeto the summit this morning. The crockpot was soon full of beef, mushrooms, onions and later red peppers as I prepared the mid-day meal of Brown Sugar/Bourbon Stew.

Outside the winds were ramping up. I knew there was a good possibility today that the mountain would say, "No!" Early on I crossed my fingers in hope they could make it to the summit. They had waited for another driver to come along and join the other already there. For safety it is always good to have two drivers along in case of emergency. We listened as they left the base of the Auto Road.

The wind continued to accelerate. When they reached halfway we thought, "Well, that was the easy part." They continued on. Ernie and I set about the task of getting ready for their arrival. Beds were made in the bunkroom. The extra table was put out to accommodate the hungry travelers. A huge urn of coffee was ready. The smell of the stew was beginning to fill the living quarters.

They turned onto Cragway and had to stop as they faced into the full-force of the wind. They waited in hopes that the blowing snow would allow them to continue. Then it came. The disappointing radio call, "We're turning back! Visibility is zero."

My heart sunk as I considered how disappointed those on board must be feeling at that point, especially my buddy, Jim. The edu-trippers had paid good money in hopes of making the trip which for some, like myself on my first trip, would bring them memories of a lifetime.

Thrashing about in the back of the Bombardier as it plowed it's way along. Looking out windows that might as well have been painted over as there were no views to be had through them, no point of reference. For some I am sure it meant motion sickness.

The wind bore down on the summit as it rose to speeds of 70mph, gusting to 90. Category One Hurricane force winds. Much too risky, no, impossible to proceed. The plow would lift the snow up and over the blade. Sometimes the visibility was such that the driver could not see the plow only a few feet in front of him.

The brute force of nature had prevailed. Mount Washington lived up to it's reputation as the World's Worst Weather once again. The Great Spirit, Agiocochook, said, "You will not visit my realm today."

KDT

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to KD Talbot For This Useful Post:

Anna LeBlanc (03-29-2011), Charlie (03-26-2011), mtruman (03-26-2011), Snow Miser (03-26-2011)

Thanks

Default 100mph Winds and Marty the Summit Cat

I didn't get outside much today, I did however go out to take some video. I apologize I don't know of a way to show it here, but it is posted on my FB page. Eventually it will make it to smugmug where it can be viewed. Things up here have been crazy.

This afternoon winds continued to ramp up until they reached the century mark this evening. Reaching a peak gust of 107mph and blowing steady at 89mph it has been an interesting day. The temp has dropped to -1F and the windchill is -39.

Little inconveniences like this do not stop the Observers from going out to take their hourly readings and to chip ice off the instruments. It has gone on in this fashion, with few exceptions, since 1932. As I sit comfortable in a concrete and steel building I imagine what it was like before the Sherman Adams Building was here. I don't think I would have wanted to be up here.

I did get out on the deck and experience 80+mph winds, but no, I didn't try to join The Century Club. I have a new respect for hurricane force winds, however. Jim Cantore and all the other TV Stormchasers have nothing on the Obs Croo!

Why Doncha Take A Picture?

Being inside most of the day gave me some quality time with Marty who showed me how to climb furniture, roll around like a tumbleweed in the wind and give the most malevolent stare anybody could possibly give. Those of you who know me know I am already pretty good at these things, but I'm taking it to a new level under Marty's watchful tutelage.

See? I can Be Cute If I Wanna!

Delicious Cheese Souffle

At supper we stuffed ourselves to the gills with the stew meant for the ill-fated edu-trip, a wonderful cheese souffle appetizer provided by chef extraordinaire Ernie, who also provided a scrumptious carrot cake for dessert which topped off the meal.

Carrot Cake For Dessert

As I sit in the kitchen and write this, the wind has found its way down the stove vents, into the room and down the back of my neck, bringing with it a few rogue snowflakes and ice pellets. As the building creaks and groans from the onslaught of the howling wind demons outside, I think I will go re-read "Not Without Peril" to calm myself to sleep...

KDT

Thanks

Cheese Souffle looks killer, toss in freshly made carrot cake and we have a winning night.

Sorry, to hear about the Edutrip. I'm sure at the time of this post, Jim is still somewhere in the area and has already taken a ton of photos. He's probable having breakfast, preparing for his mid-morning adventure. I'd go as far as to guess some of the Edutripper's are still with Jim.

Of course I could be totally wrong but, the souffle and carrot cake are still killer.
    Last edited by BAXTERCA2; 03-27-2011 at 07:49 AM.
    Club Member, Mt Washington Observatory
    ~ Everything happens in it's own time ~

Thanks

Kevin, great pictures and I am really enjoying your comments. Even when there is nothing going on there is something going on. Marty looks like he is in total control, such a "Cool" Looking cat...

I totally agree with Karen about the souffle and carrot cake. I make a good carrot cake, but have never tried a souffle, I should take a stab at one once.

Thanks

Kevin, I am also really enjoying your pictures and comments. And the dishes you and Ernie have been preparing look DELICIOUS! Thanks for posting them.
    Bob

I never want to see a day
    That's over forty degrees
    I'd rather have it thirty,
    Twenty, ten, five and let it freeeeEEEEEEeeze!

My Seek the Peak 2013 Photo Set

Thanks

looks like a very nice day up there
    i am a Summit Club member
    http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/new pictures and videos

If your not a OBS member yet then what are you waiting for

Thanks

Default Sunday on the Summit

Tip-Top House in 70MPH Winds

Despite 70+mph winds all day and peak gusts over 100 again, a Bombardier Snow Tractor did make it to the summit today. The difference between yesterday and today? Visibility. Clear skies and the summit out of the fog made it possible where yesterday the fog and blowing snow combined made the going much to risky to attempt. Just the luck of the draw. shame, but nothing to be done about it.

Mount Clay Cornice and Spindrift Over the Great Gulf

Ernie Prepares Tonight's Repast: Shrimp Stir-fry

Black Forest Cake for Dessert:OMG!

Spindrift Sunset

Sunset Just North of Camel's Hump

Camel's Hump

View to Franconia Ridge at Sunset

KDT

Thanks

Great pictures Kevin! And that Black Forest Cake looks so delicious.
    Bob

I never want to see a day
    That's over forty degrees
    I'd rather have it thirty,
    Twenty, ten, five and let it freeeeEEEEEEeeze!

My Seek the Peak 2013 Photo Set