Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tuckerman - Height Issues

Thanks

Default Tuckerman - Height Issues

I'll be hiking Mt Washington for the first time in mid-June from Pinkham Notch. I am planning on going up the Tuckerman Ravine trail, but I understand that sections of it are often closed due to snow/avalanche risk this time of year. Does anyone know what alternate routes are suggested to get around the closed sections of the trail? My hiking companion has a fear of heights, and although we've done lots of steep climbs together (Grand Canyon, etc.), we've never been to the White Mountains. Are any trails better for people with height issues?

Also, how easy is it to go up and back the same day? We're planning on doing that, but are considering a two day hike instead with a stayover at Lake of the Clouds Hut. We're experienced hikers, in good shape, in our 50s. From what I?ve read, it seems about a 9-10 hour hike roundtrip if we to do it same day...

Any advice would be welcome. Thanks!

Thanks

The snow in the Whites is very deep this year. (It's so awesome!) I would not be surprised if the Tuckerman Ravine Tr is closed in mid-June. You'll have to read the trip reports before your trip to get an idea of the trail conditions. You can do that here: trailsnh.com/find/Mt+Washington

Ammonoosuc Ravine Tr makes a very enjoyable alternative to Tuckerman Ravine Tr. It starts near the base of the Cog (west side of Mt W.), and climbs right to Lake of the Clouds hut. You'll have the option of descending the Jewell Tr back to the Cog.

How easy is it? That depends. Lot's and lots of people do it as an up-and-back in a day. I'm sure lots of people think it's very hard, but worth it. 9-10 hours sounds like a safe estimate, call it an all-day hike.

Kimball

Thanks

If doing the Lions Head or Tuckerman routes from the east or the Ammonoosuc trail and Jewell Trails from the west, they are both very doable in a day. Some people will stretch them out to two days on these trails but if you are in decent enought shape, the time that Kimball said is realistic. The key (among several) is to keep an eye on the weather forecast on our page on the day of your hike and start early. Regardless of your start time, pack a headlamp or flashlight just in case though. There is no guaranteed rides down.

When it comes to the height thing, if it is a major issue, I would recommend an up and down on the Jewell Trail if only planning a one or two day trip. Most do the up the Ammonoosuc and down the Jewell but the Ammie can get pretty steep the further up you go and I have had friends take issue on the trail when they look back down. But the Jewell keeps you in a lower pitch most of the way up. The best is to look at a topo trail map (which I recommend buying before hiking up) and look at the pitches yourself. There are also plenty of online resources and books to help you choose your trail as well.
    Ryan Knapp
    Staff Meteorologist/Night Observer, KMWN (Mt Washington Obs., NH)

Thanks

I love going up Tuckerman Ravine - but prefer doing Lion Head trail up and then down for the Headwall. But, in June snow would be my biggest concern. Based on what I know now of the conditions, I would not do an east side hike as my first time up Mt Washington in June. I would go with up on the Ammo trail if the conditions are good - then down the Jewell. I have never done down on the Ammo and it is fine I am sure - but when the Jewell is right there and so much "better" I always have done the Jewell down. If the Ammo conditions are bad, I would do up and down on the Jewell. I would take full winter gear, microspikes, headlamps just in case. The weather changes fast - and being on the western side you will see it coming in which is really good. If you can plan a 3-day weekend for the hike - and then select the best weather day, you will have better success.
    Brad (a 6288 club member)
    http://bradstreet.zenfolio.com Personal Photo sales site
    http://public.fotki.com/bradbradstreet Personal photo web site
    http://public.fotki.com/MWO/saved/2012/ MWO image & video archive site 2006-2012

Thanks

I definitely agree with Brad on making it a long weekend, and picking the best day. I, personally, was completely wiped out on completion of my hike, going up Tuckermans and down Lions head. Lion's head is a killer on the knees, as I suspect Tux would be coming down, although i haven't decended that way yet. I did come down the Ammo though, and don't remember the steepness on the way down bothering me much.

I found that the thing with tuckermans ravine is that I was so wrapped up in the scenery and the view around me, that I never really noticed the steepness of the fact that I was hiking along the edge of a steep drop in places. I never once felt fear or concern on the trail, but you do have to remember that it's a long way down should you mistep! Either way, Tux or Ammo or Jewell, the views you'll get on a clear day will be amazing!

Thanks

Part of the issue with doing Ammo down is the slippery rocks.
    Brad (a 6288 club member)
    http://bradstreet.zenfolio.com Personal Photo sales site
    http://public.fotki.com/bradbradstreet Personal photo web site
    http://public.fotki.com/MWO/saved/2012/ MWO image & video archive site 2006-2012

Thanks

i would like to do a 2 day hike late this year and do the Ammo up to Lakes in the clouds and then summit the next day and down the Jewell
    i am a Summit Club member
    http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/new pictures and videos

If your not a OBS member yet then what are you waiting for

Thanks

I'll echo the sentiments of the others on the multi-day hike. Mid June is the perfect time for this since the Alpine Garden should be in bloom. We've wanted to do this for several years and finally have our plans set this time. We're actually spending two nights at Lakes of the Clouds to give us a whole day in the middle. The only thing is reservations for the hut are filling fast. When we made ours several weeks ago the first and second weekends in June were fully booked and we got almost the last spots for the third weekend. Not sure how things are now. (You can check on the AMC site - outdoors.org).

As for Tuckerman's and height issues - I have a pretty good case of acrophobia. We've gone down Tuckerman's (and up Lion Head) all three times we've been to the summit. I haven't had any place on Tucks that I felt nervous. You do have to be careful and stay away from the edges of the trail in the more precipitous spots. Doing it with snow on the trail would be another story though - not something I want to do.

However it works out for you I hope you have a great time. Perhaps we'll even run into each other up there...
    Mark

Keep close to Nature's heart...
    and break clear away, once in awhile,
    and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods.
    Wash your spirit clean. - John Muir

Hiking photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/mtruman42
    Hiking Blog: http://theramblingsblog.blogspot.com/
    Seek the 2011 Peak page: Mark Truman's Pledge Page

Thanks

I have gone up the Ammo and down the Jewell 3 times and really like this route. If you park at the hikers parking lot and take the trail from there I find it a nice little warm up. As far as coming down the Ammo. Last time I did it the rocks were wet and I seen a guy take one heck of a fall. He was ok but a bit embarresed and his butt a bit dirty. I also do not like hight and I had no problem with the Ammo or the one time I went down by Tucks.

Thanks

Add another one who likes going up Ammo and going down the Jewell! In fact, that is what my group is planning to do this May. Best of luck in what you decided to do