Thread: Has anyone hiked in the Grand Tetons?

Thanks

Default Has anyone hiked in the Grand Tetons?

Has anyone hiked in the Grand Tetons? I am trying to plan a trip that includes spending a few days there, possibly backpacking. If anyone has good intel from out there I would love suggestions.

Thanks

I went to camp outside Jackson and we did several day trips in the Tetons and a multi-night traverse of the Teton range.

What were you planning? Day hikes or a an overnight?
    Bill
    Next up: Vermont City Marathon: May, 2011
    EasternLight

Thanks

i was thinking a multi-night traverse but would like to have some day trips as back up if you can't get overnight permits. did you do any hiking around yellowstone when you were there too?

Thanks

We drove through Yellowstone, but didn't do any hiking.

Our day hikes in the Tetons were up to the basin where they camp for Grand Teton ascents and also to a high alpine lake right below the Grand.
    Bill
    Next up: Vermont City Marathon: May, 2011
    EasternLight

Thanks

I did some day hikes (long, long ago) in the Tetons. Mostly what I remember is the beautiful scenery and more moose than I could count. We stayed in a cabin towards the north end of the park, but if memory serves, we hiked up from the far side of Jenny lake.

Thanks

Yes..I did a multi night there. Stayed the first night at Holly Lake. The second we went over the paintbrush divide 10,000 feet and stayed at site that I can't remember and then walked out the next day back to Jenny Lake. You should try one of the rock climbing courses that Exxum?(climbing school) does. We met quite a few nice people out there. The Jenny Lake area was really nice.

Thanks

yeah I've been up the trail on Grand using the usual trailhead from the spur road off park road

When are you going????? as that will drastically affect conditions

In April - May the actual trailhead will be closed and you will have to park 1-2 miles back down the road due to the snow.

The trail itself is just a hiking trail upto the saddle.... I'd say that is a descent day hike. Above the saddle it gets technical..if you go over the glacier to middle you'd probably be OK with just an axe ( of course I'd rope up to), but any route up the grand is 5.7+ AND OF COURSE ROCKFALL is a big concern so helmets are strongly suggested

** use caution for soft snow posthole days if in late spring... monitor the snowpack and temperature at elevations & try to plan accordingly **
    www.jhavalanche.org

BTW sure you've already booked it all but we stayed in this hotel and loved it.... nice quality "boutique - lux" hotel with all the good stuff you need from a hotel, but full kitchens with nice appliances.. having the kitchen was nice when coming of the mountain after 12+ hour days
    www.hotelterrajacksonhole.com

best of luck out there
    -tim
    Last edited by surferclimber; 04-12-2011 at 10:01 PM.
    "when it starts to hurt you might be nearly halfway, now its probably a good idea take out those ropes and put your crampons on!"

-Tim: MWOBS donor, AMC member, and steadily but surely working on joining the AMC 48 in winter committee