Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wildcat Webcams?

DaveV Guest

Default Wildcat Webcams?

Hello all - the "Cam Network" from the top of Wildcat is no more? http://www.mountwashington.org/weath...rk/ravines.php
    That was a great one for daydreaming at work! Oh well..

Thanks

5 Days 2007-2008

StuntCock Guest

But the Closeups and all the other cool ones are no more....a sad day.

Thanks

there were more webcams on Wildcat looking at Washington? I only ever saw the one on the Mt. Washington website. The others might be down because Wildcat it closed for the Summer.
    5 Days 2007-2008

DaveV Guest

There was one looking at the top of the Wildcat quad, another looking down catapult trail, and zooms of the ravines. But the "ravine cam" is better than nothing!~

Thanks

The closeup of Tucks was accessed by me a lot...

Thanks

Default No worries... they're all still there.

All webcams are still in place. The site redesign changed the URL's-- you can find all of them here.

The Ravines Cam is solar-powered, so the end of Wildcat's ski season has no effect. Those other images mentioned above were never "officially" offered up through the Obs site for public viewing-- they were more or less stuck in the "let's see what this cam can do" stage.

The other cams are still offering up amazing images from the summit. Hopefully, there's more to come down the road...

Enjoy the new forums!

Scot
    MWO Staff
    Last edited by fifteendays; 05-11-2006 at 10:14 PM.

Thanks

these are just the four that we always had. I've never seen these other cams have been dicussed. The Wildcat Quad, etc. What was the old link for those? Were they on the wildcat website?
    5 Days 2007-2008

DaveV Guest

Quote Originally Posted by davidhowland14
    these are just the four that we always had. I've never seen these other cams have been dicussed. The Wildcat Quad, etc. What was the old link for those? Were they on the wildcat website?
    See opening post

Thanks

Default Wildcat Cam

Here's the full scoop...

Those cam shots you're talking about all came from the webcam on Wildcat. When we were establishing the cam on Wildcat a few years ago, it was built to offer up a variety of images. Given the nature of that cam (solar powered, serious weather extremes, remote location), it took lots of testing. Those multiple views never made it to the public site-- but our former web developer set up a test page. That URL (which is what is being referenced here) was only semi-known even among staff, and obviously was leaked out a bit. Not that it was some big secret, just that we wanted to make it totally bulletproof before any of it went live...

Flash forward a few years and through some staff comings and goings, as well as changing priorities, it hasn't reached its full potential to this point. However, the original "Ravines Cam" image is still offered up as part of our webcam network.

(Putting on my non-profit hat...) Having the funds to throw at that project is a major challenge, given that we need to maintain the vital summit operations, operate two museums and provide weather education in classrooms across the region. However, it's my personal hope that we are able to expand our webcam network in the near future.

Does that answer the original question? If not, feel free to ask more...

Scot
    MWO Staff

PS: Huge thanks to the Zakon Group, the USDA Forest Service and Wildcat (as well as MWO members) for getting that thing up there in the first place...