Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Compare hiking Franconia Ridge to Mt. Washington via Ammonoosuc Ravine and Jewell

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dlapine View Post
    We'll definitely be looking for good weather to do this hike and will be prepared and head down if bad weather rolls in unexpectedly. I'm sure hoping for clear blue skies that day!
    I was thinking about doing Franconia ridge tomorrow under the predicted clear blue skies, but I think the forecast winds may make that a bad idea. Unfortunately the air masses that bring clear, predictable weather often bring cold and wind.
    John

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Vox Sciurorum View Post
    I was thinking about doing Franconia ridge tomorrow under the predicted clear blue skies, but I think the forecast winds may make that a bad idea. Unfortunately the air masses that bring clear, predictable weather often bring cold and wind.
    Cold and wind aren't the worst thing on Franconia Ridge (and are often just a fact of life). As long as the winds aren't strong enough to blow you off the ridge and they aren't accompanied by thunderstorms I'd go for it!
    Mark

Keep close to Nature's heart...
    and break clear away, once in awhile,
    and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods.
    Wash your spirit clean. - John Muir

Hiking photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/mtruman42
    Hiking Blog: http://theramblingsblog.blogspot.com/
    Seek the 2011 Peak page: Mark Truman's Pledge Page

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mtruman View Post
    Cold and wind aren't the worst thing on Franconia Ridge (and are often just a fact of life). As long as the winds aren't strong enough to blow you off the ridge and they aren't accompanied by thunderstorms I'd go for it!
    I can take 40 degrees OR 40+ mph wind, but the two of them together with wind chills below freezing make me wait for another day. I like to wear shorts and my legs get cold under 40. I'm not one of those crazy people who climb mountains in mid-winter.

Also my friend is light and probably would get blown off the ridge.

Tomorrow looks like a much better day.
    John

Thanks

Default Good day for a walk

Tomorrow looks like a much better day.
    Saturday was a great day. A little warm for my tastes, some of the time. I was surprised at how much warmer Franconia Ridge was compared to the reported conditions on top of Mount Washington or at the equivalent elevation on Mount Washington.

Up Falling Waters, watching a crowd from Dartmouth zip past my slow self, and down the old bridle path. I haven't heard so much French spoken since high school class. A lot of people were visiting from Qu?bec.

I can see why people have different opinions about descending Falling Waters. Technically it's not hard, but you have to pick your way over rocks with tired legs and for me that's slow going.

Answering the original question, I think it was a bit easier than Mount Washington up Ammonoosuc and down Jewell. It was still a long way as my legs judge distance, especially this early in the year.
    John

Thanks

Thanks, John. A bit tougher I think I can handle.. Time will tell. I'm in a little better shape than last year when I did Franconia Ridge so I'm hopeful I'll be able to handle Mt. Washington. And I sure hope for a nice warm blue sky day like you just had! Looked beautiful up there - thanks for posting. Deb

Thanks

You definitely picked the perfect day John! Glad it worked out. Photos are spectacular. Reminds me once again why this is one of my favorite spots on earth.
    Mark

Thanks

Just wanted to let you all know I made it up The Ammonoosuc and down Jewell trail and what a GREAT day! Your advice was all much appreciated -- and yes, I'd say Washington was a bit tougher than Franconia Ridge, although if you can do Franconia, I'd say it's a sure bet you can also do Washington on these trails. It was a difficult hike for me, especially closer to the Lakes of the Clouds hut, but I did it! We had great weather and didn't use much in my pack, but I'm still glad I brought it just in case. Unfortunately just as we neared the Lakes of the Clouds the clouds rolled in and the peak of Washington was in the fog. All in all though, it was an awesome day since we had views all the way up and down. And Mark, thanks for showing those pics of the grey jays -- they came to us on the way down the Jewell and I was happy to share my crackers with them! What a fantastic ending to a terrific day!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks

So glad you had a good hike. Sounds like an excellent day all around. Too bad the fog on the summit didn't hold off but unfortunately that's the way it goes on this mountain. Nice having the views the rest of the time (and spectacular views they are). The Gray Jay bonus is always a nice way to end off the day.
    Mark

Thanks

Default Gray jays

Quote Originally Posted by dlapine View Post
    And Mark, thanks for showing those pics of the grey jays -- they came to us on the way down the Jewell and I was happy to share my crackers with them! What a fantastic ending to a terrific day!
    Lucky. I've never seen a Gray Jay, not even in the distance. I wonder how they decide who to land on.
    John

Thanks

Lucky. I've never seen a Gray Jay, not even in the distance. I wonder how they decide who to land on.
    That's easy - if you see them, have food and put your hand out they will land on it. They will also hang around as long as they think there's any more food. They earned their nicknames of "camp robbers". There are also plenty of stories of people sitting down for their lunch and not knowing that the Gray Jays were around and losing a piece of a sandwich or anything else that they might have laid down.

As for where to find them there are a number of very common locations. We've met them on Webster, Pierce, Starr King, Jackson, Liberty and the location on the Jewell that was mentioned here. The most likely spots are places where lots of people tend to stop for lunch and locations near campsites. The spot on Jewell has an illegal campsite right on the trail (supposed to be at least 200' from the trail) so it's a very popular Jay location.

Hopefully you'll run into some out there one of these days. It's really a fun experience.
    Mark