Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alpine Garden June 21, 2011 Question

Thanks

Default Alpine Garden June 21, 2011 Question

Happy first day of Summer!

How is the Alpine Garden with Flowers in Bloom? Anyone know? Is it past bloom or just starting?
    I am hiking it tomorrow and want to know what to expect. If it is past bloom should I change my hike?
    click here to sponsor me or just check out my page

https://www.mountwashington.org/site...=kendragarrity

Thanks

Default Garden

Well, yes, it's past the initial bloom of Diapensia, Lapland Rosebay and Alpine Azalea. That said, like any garden, it blooms all summer long. Labrador Tea, Three-toothed Cinquefoil and Mountain Avens are all coming into bloom now. Mountain Cranberry, Mountain Heath, Bunchberry, Boott's Rattlesnake Root, Harebells, Mountain Sandwort and Painted Cup should also be coming along as well.

I think people who have never been to the Alpine Garden expect to walk into something like an arboretum and then are disappointed when they don't see a landscape covered in flowers. Regardless of the timing, I find it well worth the trip and most certainly a beautiful place.

Would I change my plans, no, but that's me.

KDT

Thanks

You can see volunteer reports of what's in bloom during the past week on a map at AMC's Mountain Watch web site. If you sign up as a volunteer, you can can also map flower reports for various phenology stages, historical dates, and even see trail overlays.

Thanks

We were there on Saturday and the conditions pretty much match what Kevin said. No large expanses of blooms but lots of small displays of a number of varieties across the area. We found a bunch of other varieties in locations outside the Alpine Garden as well (although we were at Lakes of the Clouds for two nights so had lots of time to explore). I should have a trip report on my blog sometime tonight but in the mean time you can find the pictures here: https://picasaweb.google.com/mtruman...COWy3_iEneKACA Have a great time up there tomorrow. Hope your weather is as good as we had.
    Mark

Keep close to Nature's heart...
    and break clear away, once in awhile,
    and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods.
    Wash your spirit clean. - John Muir

Hiking photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/mtruman42
    Hiking Blog: http://theramblingsblog.blogspot.com/
    Seek the 2011 Peak page: Mark Truman's Pledge Page

Thanks

Thank you everyone we are definetly doing the garden we are up here now. Not sure
    If this will post because its my phone.
    Again.....THANK YOU.

Thanks

My trip report to the Alpine Garden.....

Where do I begin?
    It was the toss of the rock!
    We werent sure if we wanted too get to the garden by Old Jackson road to Nelson Craig trail or Huntington Ravine trail.
    So we tossed a rock....rough side Huntington...soft side Nelson Craig
    Rough side won...Huntington was the choice....
    We knew it would be a hard climb but nearly not what we expected....
    Up tuckermans to Huntington....into Huntington was such a beautiful hike.
    My favorite hike ever!
    I just loved the falls and the trail and just all around peaceful with views of Lions head.
    As we passed Albert Dow redcross shelter we realized wow this is going to be a tough climb up.
    We sat a a huge boulder viewing what we will be attempting pondering that maybe it will be fast. That it just seemed or looked hard.
    We had just done Welch Dickey trail and when we hiked we would be on one mountain and in no time at all be looking across where we had just been.
    So we thought ...oh maybe it will go fast like that last hike!
    That was NOT the case!
    We could see 2 other hikers hiking up and I thought that we should catch up and they could kind of lead the way.
    As the other hikers got to where they would be climbing straight up...I noticed they were now hiking back down.
    We never saw them on the trail though because they must have just made their own route back down.
    We then heard them yelling up at us...almost saying or telling us we are crazy and to turn back.
    But the waves of their arms I felt they were just saying hello.
    On the way up...the very STEEP SCALING of the wall up...the yellow bllazings were not marked well at the points you really needed them.
    Most likely worn off from the winter.
    We got to a point where I hiked up an area to see if I could spot a yellow or white blaze and found myself stuck.
    I thought OMG how am I going to get back down?
    Not to mention I was packed for 2 people. Raingear, (pants and jackets) lunch, water, bug spray, sunblock, binoculars, camera, emergncy kit
    headlamps...long sleeve shirt ect.
    My pack wieghed 25 pounds when we left pinkham visitor center.
    (when looking at our pictures my napsack was bigger than my torso!)
    SO there I was....stuck up Huntington staring a Falcon in the eyes! Not really but I felt like soon to be a dead one anyway...
    My napsack was sticking out so far i could feel the gravity trying to bring it back down to sea level!
    I thought maybe I should just toss it down to save myself.....tossing it down would be like throwing a rock down and never hearing it hit bottom...
    Finally I sucked it up...gripped the wall and scaled down using every part of my body even my lips as I kissed the wall telling it how much I respected it.
    This part was no way a hike but a rock climb.
    WE finally figured out which way to head up which made me feel such a huge relief!
    My friend needed some assistance at times but did very well considering shes not a fan of hieghts especially of open ledges!
    We finally made it to the top. We really had no choice because It would have been so much harder to hike back down. or should I say scale the rocks back down.
    At this point we lost all feelings about seeing a pretty flower in the Alpine Garden and just headed right up to Mt.Washington Park.
    It was so beautiful there with awesome visibilty for about 15 minutes.
    Then a storm moved thru quickly.
    The ranger said hiking back down thru lions head might be a little rough especially since it was already 5:30pm.
    The storm was completely on that side of the mountain.
    So he told us it would be better to take the auto road down which we did until the 2 mile marker and then old jackson road to pinkham notch.
    The yellow blazes on the autoroad were very clearly marked
    We did very good time and got back to the car at 7:50pm.
    All in all it was quite an experience!
    So .....
    Have you heard of the Huntington Ravine/ Auto Road loop?!

Thanks

It needs to be pointed out that the auto road is a worst case scenario "trail" down that we send late comers, unfit, unconditioned, unprepared, etc people down on since it is the safest "trail" down. As far as we are aware, it should not be hiked during normal operating hours as we find several people doing in the summer since it really isn't wide enough or safe enough for both foot and car travel. After hours like you did is "ok" but it should not be encouraged as an actual "loop".
    Ryan Knapp
    Staff Meteorologist/Night Observer, KMWN (Mt Washington Obs., NH)

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Knapper For This Useful Post:

BAXTERCA2 (06-25-2011), kendra4 (06-23-2011)

Thanks

Default Glad

First, I just want to say I'm glad you made it up and down safely. That said, I would just like to encourage you to maybe be a little better informed about the trails you may be choosing. The best way I can recommend is to pick yourself up a copy of the AMC's White Mountain Guide. Had you planned your trip with this then you would have read in the first sentence of the first paragraph of the section about Huntington Ravine Trail:

Caution:This is the most difficult regular hiking trail in the White Mountains.

It goes on to tell about the steepness of the ledges and their difficulty and the overall dangerousness of the trail. I will not write in full what it says, get a copy and read it yourself.

Many get themselves in trouble out there because they go into things without full knowledge of what they are in for. This is why the AMC has created this book, to better prepare people for what may lie ahead in their hikes.

Any trip above timberline in the White Mountains is not to be taken lightly, chosen by the flip of a coin, as it were. That said, many have enjoyable hikes and lasting memories because they gained experience by going well prepared against these hills.

I am not saying that everyone who hikes these hills is in a life or death situation, just that like going into anything, it is best to gain as much knowledge before hand as possible so that you know what you are up against and how best to prepare for the situations which may arise.

Also, there are many here on this board who are familiar with the various trails on MW and who could have given good advice about your route. I don't recall your asking about HRT, just about the Alpine Garden Trail. I suppose we could have asked what your plan was...

Here's a good deal on the WMG, and you can support the Obs by getting here, too!

https://www.mountwashington.org/shop...7d2bfdad31defd

KDT

10. The Following User Says Thank You to KD Talbot For This Useful Post:

kendra4 (06-23-2011)

Thanks

I'm also glad you made it OK Kendra. If you saw my post from a couple of days ago about giving hikers on the trail advice you know that I'm torn on this issue. I do believe that if I'd met you on the way to Huntington's I might have asked though. Kevin's right about not taking these mountains and trails lightly. I don't want to sound like I'm scolding or questioning your judgement - I really don't have any idea about your experience and ability. I do want to see everyone who's out there hiking in these beautiful mountains have the best possible time and be safe. There are indeed lots of people on this board with lots of experience that can give you good advice (much more so than I can). Don't be afraid to ask - nobody will ever put you down for that.

Also glad to see that you're doing Seek the Peak. Hope that's a much more enjoyable day on the mountain for you. Hope to see you there.
    Mark

Keep close to Nature's heart...
    and break clear away, once in awhile,
    and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods.
    Wash your spirit clean. - John Muir

Hiking photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/mtruman42
    Hiking Blog: http://theramblingsblog.blogspot.com/
    Seek the 2011 Peak page: Mark Truman's Pledge Page

12. The Following User Says Thank You to mtruman For This Useful Post:

kendra4 (06-23-2011)

Thanks

Your hike sounds like it was one heck of an adventure. Glad you made it through it okay! Did you take any photos? Thanks for sharing.
    Bob

I never want to see a day
    That's over forty degrees
    I'd rather have it thirty,
    Twenty, ten, five and let it freeeeEEEEEEeeze!

My Seek the Peak 2014 Photo Set