Thread: Hotel / Motel

Thanks

Default Hotel / Motel

Hi all, I'm heading up to Franconia Notch soon for a hut-to-hut trip (Galehead/Greenleaf/Zealand) hiking North. Currently planning to stay overnight the night before at a motel/inn somewhere near Highland Center, so that we can drop a car there in the morning and then drive over to Falling Waters or Greeleaf trail and begin the hike. I've stayed at the Shakespear's Inn in the past (has a restaurant and diner next door) but it is a little further away than I'd like to be in the am, the website seems to be down and it has gotten awful reviews lately. Any suggestions for a place to stay? I'm looking for something that is close to Highland Center, cheap, reasonably clean and has a pub (or similar) for food and a beer. What do you think? Am I out of luck?

Thanks

You can stay at the Highland Center (not sure if you knew that or not). It's pretty inexpensive I believe, and cheaper if you're an AMC member. They serve dinner, and I'm pretty sure you can buy drinks there as well. If not, there's the Mt Washington Hotel or Fabyans Restaurant just down the road.
    Stayed at Greenleaf this past week and had a great time with the croo. They're great

Thanks

Thanks for the reply, I'm looking forward to the huts. With six people (two adults and four kids from 9 - 15) Highland Center gets expensive, even with the AMC discount, and there is no way we will make it up there by the 6:00 dinner time so we will need to get dinner somewhere else. I've found "Above the Notch Motor Inn" and "Carlson's Lodge" online. Any information or advice people can provide would be greatly appreciated - the safe bet may be to just book Highland Center but I'd rather give the money to a local business if possible.

Thanks

Highland is definitely expensive (if you stay in Shapleigh bunkhouse it's more reasonable) but at this point it's probably booked anyway. We've stayed there many time and love it. We did at the beginning and end of both of our prior hut hikes (we did the one you're doing 3 years ago). I've been wracking my brain for another place to stay in the near vicinity but haven't come up with anything. I'd say check the local chamber of commerce sites and the NH lodging sites. Hopefully you'll come up with something. Enjoy the hike! It's one of our favorites that we've ever done. We got warned about how bad the second day from Greenleaf to Galehead was and it turned out to be our favorite day. The TR from our trip is still up here if you want a preview: http://www.mountwashington.org/forum...Hut&highlight=

Be sure to share your story with us here after the trip!
    Mark

Keep close to Nature's heart...
    and break clear away, once in awhile,
    and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods.
    Wash your spirit clean. - John Muir

Hiking photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/mtruman42
    Hiking Blog: http://theramblingsblog.blogspot.com/
    Seek the 2011 Peak page: Mark Truman's Pledge Page

Thanks

Carlsons Lodge is excellent and resonable and is right outside twin Mt. Shakespeares is closed. Call Carlsons and ask for Carol and tell her Mark R from the obs refered you. She will take good care of you.If you are looking for a quick breakfast in twin there is the Mountain Bean or Munroes

Thanks

Munroes has the best breakfast! I eat there everytime I'm in Twin Mountain.
    Bob

I never want to see a day
    That's over forty degrees
    I'd rather have it thirty,
    Twenty, ten, five and let it freeeeEEEEEEeeze!

My Seek the Peak 2014 Photo Set

Thanks

Thanks all. Looks like Carlson's it is, with breakfast at Monroes before we start hiking.