Thread: Monkey Trunks 6/28/11

Hybrid View

Thanks

Default Monkey Trunks 6/28/11

If this seems like a plug to the moderators it is unintentional, feel free to remove this if it bends the rules.

On "Mini Monkey" Course

Foreword: I've driven by this place a hundred times and said, "That looks like fun." If you've ever driven north on Rte.16 through Tamworth and Chocorua you know where I mean.

After a less than enthusiastic hike to Mount Major with my granddaughter I decided to try a different approach: maybe she's more of a mountaineer than a hiker...

Waiting Her Turn

I didn't have a lot of luck getting my granddaughter to hike with me on this visit. We made it up and down Mount Major, which was something at least. It certainly meant a lot to me, if not her. I did however have much better luck with getting her up on the climbing courses at Monkey Trunks where she proved to be fearless and managed to outlast me by a good margin. I took these pictures as we progressed from Mini Monkey to King Kong and then on to the jungle, each course and each obstacle increasing in difficulty as we went along.

On "King Kong" Course

At the End of the 300' Zip Line

She had a ball, and even fell in the jungle, producing a nice rope burn on the inside of her biceps which she didn't even tell me about. I saw it later as we were swimming at Chocorua Lake. When I asked her, horrified, "What happened?" she said, "It happened when I fell. It doesn't hurt." Doesn't hurt my ass, I've had rope burns before. She let me put first aid cream on even though it "doesn't hurt".

In the "Jungle"

"No Wimps...

...or Baby Chimps!"

Well, I found something she really enjoys. Apparently she's more of a mountaineer than a hiker. I hope I can get her interested in rock climbing from here. At least I know I have a bargaining chip now. "Oh, so you want to go to Monkey Trunks? OK, first you have to hike such and such mountain with me!"

Cooling Off at Chocorua Lake After a Fun Day of Ropes and Obstacles

Cool Video HERE:

Full set of pics HERE:

KDT

2. The Following User Says Thank You to KD Talbot For This Useful Post:

Anna LeBlanc (07-03-2011)

Thanks

Very nice photos Kevin! It sure looks like the two of you had a great time. And I also think you do have a bargaining chip now. You're a very good grandfather!

And about the posting here, since we're all friends of the Observatory, I'm personally glad you posted it here for all of us to see. Thanks!
    Bob

I never want to see a day
    That's over forty degrees
    I'd rather have it thirty,
    Twenty, ten, five and let it freeeeEEEEEEeeze!

My Seek the Peak 2014 Photo Set

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Snow Miser For This Useful Post:

Anna LeBlanc (07-03-2011)

Thanks

Fantastic pictures Kevin. Nice that you get to spend some quality time with your Grand Daughter. You guys are definetly making wonderful memories. I have to say thou. She has more guts than me. I would not be up there.

Thanks

Default Thanks!

Bob- I'm having a lot of fun with her. I hope it makes some lasting memories! We don't get to spend near as much time together as I'd like...

Chris- I'll tell you what, I wouldn't be up there either if she wasn't! Something about my make-up, though, I just couldn't let a little girl show me up, so up I went. She still managed to show me up, though, by outlasting me and being absolutely fearless up there. I might have been more fearless if I hadn't been watching my granddaughter dangling from a thread 30' in the air!

KDT

Thanks

Mighty fine video Kevin. Thoroughly enjoyed it and the pictures. We've passed this course a few times on our way home. I think you've hit the mark with your grand daughter. Nice memories.
    These outdoor activity places have sprung up all over and we hope to do a zipline one of these days; before we get too old

Donna
    "If you can't find time to fix it right, when will you find time to fix it again."