Thread: Itinerary Help

Hybrid View

Thanks

Default Itinerary Help

I will be hiking from Mt Moosilauke to Pinkham Knotch in August. This will be my first time hiking and I'm looking for any advise on setting an itinerary. I'm leaving on a Saturday and hoping to finish in 8 days.

Thanks

Without any other information...start with the AMC maps and White Mountains Guide. That's an ambitious trip for a first timer, good luck

Thanks

I agree to being ambitious.

Be prepared to be in the woods with the right gear.

Your cell phone won't work most of the time.

Submit a itinerary at a trail head.

Thanks

Probably step #1 is figuring out where you plan on staying each night. It's not always possible to just decide you've had enough for the day and plop a tent down. There are numerous AMC huts along the way, but they're usually pretty full around this time of the summer. So you need to have a site for each night (and backups incase they're full or you don't make it all the way to them before nighttime). In conjuncture with that, you'll have to figure out how many miles and hours you can/want to do each day. Be sure to read over descriptions of the trails in a guide so you're not choosing the short but super steep trails as they may take a lot more time and energy (especially with a bigger pack).

Thanks

There are lots of threads here about the various parts of your route. This is a really ambitious hike for a first time - particularly in 8 days. You'll be carrying a lot of gear and it's all ups and downs. You also have to be aware of where you can camp. Plenty of information in other threads about the restrictions but for this route you are reasonably limited in your choices and should look at the established tent sites. Hope it works out for you.
    Mark

Keep close to Nature's heart...
    and break clear away, once in awhile,
    and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods.
    Wash your spirit clean. - John Muir

Hiking photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/mtruman42
    Hiking Blog: http://theramblingsblog.blogspot.com/
    Seek the 2011 Peak page: Mark Truman's Pledge Page