Thread: North & Middle Tripyramid 7-10-11

Thanks

Default North & Middle Tripyramid 7-10-11

North Tripyramid & Middle Tripyramid
    7-10-11

Pine Bend Brook Trail - Mt. Tripyramid Trail - Back in reverse

Distance: 8.31 mi.
    Elevation Gain: 2,802 ft. (overall) 3,116 ft. (total)
    Time: 3:25 (up to Middle Tripyramid) 6:10 (total)

The trail starts off right on the side of the road with the only real parking area of the ditch. The trail starts off very easy and only gains a little bit in the first parts. It follows along next to a brook for a ways before making several crossings over it and others. These were all easy today and the rocks on the edges of the steep ones have been moved around to help the hikers out. After going on for a quite a while, the trail finally starts to get a little steeper before entering into the Sandwhich Range Wilderness. Soon after entering, the trail goes up steeply and becomes very rocky while following the side of a ravine. This goes on for a little while and can be a bit tricky in places. You are stepping from large rock to large rock in many spots.

Part of the section following the ravine

Once you get to the top of the ravine, you cross over it and start to head up to the left. The trail is still quite rocky here but soon turns into dirt and roots. After climbing for a while you reach the Scaur Ridge and follow along that for a while with a limited view to your left that looks out to Mt. Washington.

Limited view along Scaur Ridge

Getting to the end of the ridge the trail heads back uphill again tot eh summit of North Tripyramid. The trail is steep in places and heads up and over many large rocks and slabs in the trail. Being try today this wasn't too hard to negotiate as long as you plan on where to put your feet ahead of time. The steepest part of this section is just before the summit. Views to the South are blocked in by the trees, but there is a short path to a nice view to the North behind the summit cairn.

View to the North from North Tripyramid

Heading down into the saddle between the two peaks is pretty easy and goes along quick. The middle of this section is quite easy and pretty flat. After the trail junction, things start heading back up and soon start to get steep and somewhat rocky. After a little more climbing you get onto the top of the mountain and pass a view to your right just before the actual summit. The summit as a good view to the Northeast and the view you passed just before the summit provides a great view to the Southwest.

Between the peaks

View Northeast from Middle Tripyramid

View to the Southwest from Middle Tripyramid

After chatting with a couple other hikers, having something to eat, and taking in the views, I started heading back over the same route to the truck to head home.

Osceolas to the West

A toad trying to hide in some Partridge Berry (I think that is what it is)

Small white flowers low on the trail

For all the pictures from the hike, just go HERE

2. The Following User Says Thank You to sdways01 For This Useful Post:

FisherCat (07-14-2011)

Thanks

Adam,
    Another fine report and great slideshow. The Pine Bend Trail looks easier than taking the Livermore Trail up the north slide. What made you decide to go via Pine Bend? We still need these 2 peaks and haven't decided which trail to take.

Donna
    "If you can't find time to fix it right, when will you find time to fix it again."

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Legs and Little d View Post
    Adam,
    Another fine report and great slideshow. The Pine Bend Trail looks easier than taking the Livermore Trail up the north slide. What made you decide to go via Pine Bend? We still need these 2 peaks and haven't decided which trail to take.

Donna
    The other route I had been thinking about was Sabbaday Brook Trail. I chose this route because it was shorter (I had some things planned for the evening) and also because the trail descriptions made this sound like a more interesting trail.

Thanks

I always enjoy the Tripyramids, they are one of my favorite 4000footers. The last time we were there it was just prior to a T-storm moving in after a dry spell and the smell of fir was overwhelming. Nice job.
    "LIVE FREE OR DIE...DEATH IS NOT THE WORST OF ALL EVILS." Gen. John Stark. "by reason of much foule weather and Extreme Bad Woods to travel in..." From the letter of my Great Uncle, Samuel Willard (accompanied by my grandfather Henry), to Governor Dummer on August 16, 1725, explaining the reason for his return, being instructed to "range all the country", of the Wawobadenik (White Mountains) July 19-August 16, 1725. I am a 13th generation New Englander and proud of it.

Thanks

This looks like another really nice way to hit the Tripyramids. Sabbaday seems like another. We definitely enjoyed the loop over the slides as well. And I think this points out one of the best things about these mountains that we all love. You can hike most of them several times (at least) with an almost totally different experience each time. Thanks for showing us another one of those experiences Adam.
    Mark

Keep close to Nature's heart...
    and break clear away, once in awhile,
    and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods.
    Wash your spirit clean. - John Muir

Hiking photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/mtruman42
    Hiking Blog: http://theramblingsblog.blogspot.com/
    Seek the 2011 Peak page: Mark Truman's Pledge Page

Thanks

The Tripyramids are still on my list to hike. Nice report Adam! Thanks for sharing, and giving some insight as to what to expect.
    Bob

I never want to see a day
    That's over forty degrees
    I'd rather have it thirty,
    Twenty, ten, five and let it freeeeEEEEEEeeze!

My Seek the Peak 2014 Photo Set