Thread: couple from CA ( Yosemite & Mt. Whitney) from few weeks back

Thanks

Default couple from CA ( Yosemite & Mt. Whitney) from few weeks back

Played tourist for a few days in the valley ( Yosemite falls trail, mist trail to half dome & four mile trail) and here's a few shots of the classics

that's the view from half way up the trail and here's what it looks like above the brink of the falls

Last edited by surferclimber; 07-13-2011 at 10:42 PM.
    "when it starts to hurt you might be nearly halfway, now its probably a good idea take out those ropes and put your crampons on!"

-Tim: MWOBS donor, AMC member, and steadily but surely working on joining the AMC 48 in winter committee

Thanks

Then headed east to climb Mt. Whitney. We didn't carry the camera on the trail as carrying so much gear - wish I did though as it's stunning up there - but got this unique shot from the visitor center looking up at the mountain.

BTW anybody considering climbing Mt. Whitney ( afterall it's highest peak in lower 48 so I know many people have it on their list) it is highly recommended!!! If you're comfortable on Mt. Wash in winter ( maybe some of the harder - more technical routes) then you'll be fine on Whitney as it is about the same just looooonger ( maybe consider just going to Trail Crest and back in a day instead of the walk over the ridge to the actual summit). Only sketchy part I had was a scary moment when I heard a big rock fall from the chimney above me after climbing up a snow slope about the same angle as tucks but maybe two or three times as big... luckily nothing slid
    "when it starts to hurt you might be nearly halfway, now its probably a good idea take out those ropes and put your crampons on!"

-Tim: MWOBS donor, AMC member, and steadily but surely working on joining the AMC 48 in winter committee

Thanks

Very nice! Yosemite has to be one of my most favored places in the world.

Did you have any issues getting permits for Whitney? How far out did you apply?
    Summit Club Member
    Seek the Peak 11
    Seek the Peak 10: Lions Head/Tuckermans Ravine
    Seek the Peak 09: Boot Spur (redux)
    Seek the Peak 08: Huntington Ravine
    Seek the Peak 07: Tuckermans Ravine/Lions Head
    My 48: Washington (07/07, 07/08, 07/09, 09/09, 07/10), Lafayette (08/08, 08/09), Lincoln (08/08, 08/09), Pierce (07/10), Carrigain (09/10), Cannon (10/10), Jackson (11/10), Field (11/10), Tom (01/11)

Thanks

Your pictures are unbelievable. Thanks for sharing. You must have had a fantastic time.

Thanks

Yes, what a teaser these photos are. You say a few weeks back, so these pictures are from a June hike out there? I am considering throwing my name in the hat for a few dates next year when the lottery is started in February.

I still have to read up a lot on Whitney, but did you carry full winter gear on this June hike? Snowshoes necessary?
    DMOutdoors

DMOutdoors - My Blog

Thanks

Beautiful Pictures!!!

Thanks

nice pictures thanks
    i am a Summit Club member
    http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/new pictures and videos

If your not a OBS member yet then what are you waiting for

Thanks

Very nice pictures! Thanks for sharing with us.
    Bob

I never want to see a day
    That's over forty degrees
    I'd rather have it thirty,
    Twenty, ten, five and let it freeeeEEEEEEeeze!

My Seek the Peak 2013 Photo Set

Thanks

THANKS all for the kind words

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDog View Post

Did you have any issues getting permits for Whitney? How far out did you apply?
    The permit issue was not really that bad; this site has all the info

http://www.fs.usda.gov/wps/portal/fs...hitney%20Trail

but basically you print out a simple application form and then mail them $30... in a few weeks they send you back a letter saying whether or not you were approved and directions to get the permit assuming you are approved ( TIP if you are planning a mountaineers start you can arrange to pick up the permit early or they will leave it for you in a box outside the ranger station the night before)

If you go of peak times ( mid week ) I don't see the permit being any issue. From what I've heard they don't fill quota on days other than peak summer weekends..... The lottery for the following year starts in Jan-Feb or something like that. If I remember correct last year I applied in Feb for a late May hike. Also permits are not required in winter, late fall & early spring!

Quote Originally Posted by DMOutdoors View Post
    Yes, what a teaser these photos are. You say a few weeks back, so these pictures are from a June hike out there? I am considering throwing my name in the hat for a few dates next year when the lottery is started in February.

I still have to read up a lot on Whitney, but did you carry full winter gear on this June hike? Snowshoes necessary?
    It was actually late may just before the memorial day holiday started.

Depends on what you call full winter gear.... I wore two layers ( silk under a usual inner layer of polypro pants & shirt) and also carried an extra outer layer ( over it all & ski pants).... Since the trail head is so high out there ( 8000' ish ) and last year was an extremely heavy snow year the conditions did not warrant anything other than crampons and ice axe..... These sites are good to monitor conditions

www.esavalanche.org

www.whitneyportalstore.com/
    Last edited by surferclimber; 07-16-2011 at 12:54 PM.

Thanks

Also I should note that there are not to many lodging choices out there.... a few little overpriced old motels near the base of the mountain. Many people stay up in Bishop, CA which is pretty much a climber's town ( there's tons of other great climbs north or Whitney in the eastern sierra) but again Bishop is kind of pricey and is still about an hour from the trailhead.

We found that the furnace creek ranch in Death Valley was a great option... the price was a little more than the old motels near the base of the mountain but it was a great place to stay. The furnace creek ranch place it like a little resort town in the middle of nowhere... nice accommodations, spring fed pool, whole nine yards with golf course, tennis course, basketball etc, etc, And you get fridge-micro which is always nice so you can eat on your own time ( say leaving at 3am for a mountaineers start )