Thread: Mt Washington at night

Hybrid View

Thanks

Default Mt Washington at night

Hi all! I have a question about mount Washington at night. What would be the considerations as far as this plan. Hiking up during the afternoon with 2 adults and 2 very capable Siberian husky dogs (one of whom is a search and rescue K9) and both have done the hike before without difficulty. The question is hiking down at night. What would we likely encounter as far as animal life? Would any of those animals be likely to attack 2 dogs of that size with 2 adults? I am sure that we have encountered coyotes, fox, and smaller animals while hiking at night here in Massachusetts and none have tried anything. How would our experience up there at night compare?

Thanks

JT

Thanks

Well, there ain't no grizzlies on MW, and Black Bears are not likely to take on two huskies. Pretty sure moose would head the other way as well, unless they had brainworm. Just curious, are the dogs going to wear headlamps too? I'd keep them leashed to be sure they don't wander off a precipice in the dark. I'd be more worried about that than wild animals, except maybe thru-hikers...

KDT

Thanks

Default Hiking at Night

Because of my schedule I do quite a bit of night hiking and have hiked Mt. Washington a few times in the dark. The wildlife is probably not the biggest concern you'd have. The terrain can be rough even on the "easy routes" above treeline and the dogs may have pad troubles on the rocks. Light has not been an issue for me even with cloud cover, so I would think that dogs would have little trouble in the likely ambient light. Many of the trails have some precipitous drops that I'd worry about too.

Overall not impossible, but some forethought will go a long way. Moonlight hiking above treeline, especially when it is clear is quite a treat.