Thread: taking a trip to mt washington

Thanks

Default taking a trip to mt washington

need some help on trip planning..planned a trip to do mt washington and continue through and do the northern range loop...looking for advice on a good area to camp for the night after i do washington and head north on the trail to the northern range..not sure if there are desisnated areas to pitch a tent on the trail or not..thanks

Thanks

Hi Chud,

There is no camping above treeline unless there is 2ft of snow. For any chance at pitching a tent in a flat spot, you will have to descend quite far into the valley after Washington. You might want to look into a hut for staying the night. Madison Hut is near the end, before you descend. The only other hut option is a little extra mileage to the Perch (Israel Ridge Path). This northern loop is usually done in a long day hike, 12-14 hours, likely because of the limited camping spots. Last suggestion, would be the Valley Way campsite. Valley Way goes into the trees from Madison hut. I forget how far the campsite is from the hut, and again, its near the end of your trip.

Be sure to let us know how it goes!
    DMOutdoors

DMOutdoors - My Blog

Thanks

Default Just to clarify

The Perch is an open shelter and not the only other option. There is Gray Knob and Crag Camp on Mt. Adams, closed huts with bunk-room sleeping. Mats are provided. First come, first serve. They're about 8 bucks a night. Madison Springs will run you around $90 but with two meals, and you will need reservations.

http://www.randolphmountainclub.org/...rshelters.html

http://www.outdoors.org/lodging/whit...ts-madison.cfm

KDT