Thread: what happened?? no storm here!

Thanks

Default what happened?? no storm here!

I'm in the Concord, NH area and around here Irene was no big deal. Just an avg rain storm with a stiff breeze at times. Seen heavier rain in typical spring storm. With all the Hype on TV.. I was looking forward to waking up Sunday morning with sheets of rain coming down sideways. Well bad weather can be fun when you're safe and dry inside

And on the subject.. the TV weather guys said you get lots of wind but little rain east of the eye of Tropical storm but lots of rain and less wind on the west side. why is this?

By the way, Concord lost out on both counts.. little rain and little wind.

I bet Irene was quite a show on the summit though!

David

Thanks

Thank your lucky stars and don't complain

Thanks

You were too far from the center of a weakening storm system. Our highest winds came in the heavy rain squalls when the higher winds above ground were driven to the surface.
    Bill
    Next up: Vermont City Marathon: May, 2011
    EasternLight

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Bill O For This Useful Post:

Thanks

We didn't have much wind here in Western MA, either, about on par with a medium nor-easter...but we have some very severe flooding going on. When the ground got saturated with water this contributed to many otherwise 'strong' trees toppling over.

All the water from an 11,000 square mile of drainage area is still trying to find its way to the CT river. Our hill towns of the Berkshires (Franklin and Berkshire counties) have been totally devastated. There are cars floating down the CT rivers...dry riverbeds that only half fill during snowmelt have over-run their banks and become torrents.

Many people have lost a lot but thankfully not their lives.

So the storm may not have initially been bad but aftereffects are becoming apparent.

Thanks

I got lucky and have had no problems at all at my house (SW NH). But we were up North in Pittsburg for the weekend and drove home Sunday afternoon. I drove past lots of over flowing rivers coming form the top of the state to the bottom. I stopped at the basin on the way by and took a couple pictures there that I will post later. That was very impressive seeing the powerful water and hearing the rocks in the water tumbling around sounding like thunder. I am also only about 20 minutes East of the CT river and drove down next to parts of it yesterday on the way home from work and there are dams that you can hardly even tell are there since there is so much water. It is impressive how powerful the river was the day after. The storm seemed to be very much about your location for how much the rain and rivers affected you.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to sdways01 For This Useful Post: