Thread: Saturday's hike to Carter Dome and to Mt Hight.

Hybrid View

Thanks

Default Saturday's hike to Carter Dome and to Mt Hight.

Saturday's weather was so incredible for our hike to Carter Dome and to Mt Hight. It was just picture perfect on the summit of Hight. We hiked 3.8 miles up to Carter Notch Hut via the Nineteen Mile Brook Trail. This was my 5th hut that I have hiked to. Maybe it's just me but I find it such a treat to visit these huts. There is so much history at these huts. After lunch we hiked the Carter Moriah Trail to the summit of Carter Dome. The first half of this was not easy for me. There were a few real nice vistas on the way up but views are limited on the summit of Carter because of the high tree line. Carter Dome is my 7th 4000 footer. The views on Hight were without question, incredible. I highly recommend on a clear day to come here. We descended Hight to the Carter Dome Trail and back onto the Nineteen Mile Trail. Hurricane Irene did effect some parts of the trails (erosion). On the way down we met up with a hiker who told us that 40 years ago she was a Croo member. Also on the way down we met up with a lady who was hiking with her 2 daughters around the age of 5-7 years old. They seemed so excited to be staying at the Carter Hut. I find it so incredible seeing the young, hiking these trails.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by d.b.cooperisalive; 09-12-2011 at 04:35 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to d.b.cooperisalive For This Useful Post:

Anna LeBlanc (09-20-2011)

Thanks

Nice pics and report! Congrats on your 7th! I have to agree, Mt. Hight is one of the best views in the Whites. Glad you had a good day to enjoy it!

KDT

Thanks

Congrats on your 7th peak d.b.! Very nice pics of your hike. A couple of us were on Wildcat D that afternoon too, and the weather was perfect for hiking. Thanks for sharing.
    Bob

I never want to see a day
    That's over forty degrees
    I'd rather have it thirty,
    Twenty, ten, five and let it freeeeEEEEEEeeze!

My Seek the Peak 2013 Photo Set