Thread: New Lessons from an Old Friend - Franconia Ridge - 9/10/11

Thanks

Default New Lessons from an Old Friend - Franconia Ridge - 9/10/11

It took me two weeks to finally publish the blog post for our hike of Franconia Ridge on a perfect September Saturday. I wasn't sure that it was really something that I wanted to write (or even more, something that others would want to read). In the end it is about a spectacular place on a spectacular day and some new lessons taught by an old friend.

The whole story is here: http://theramblingsblog.blogspot.com...franconia.html

You can also just skip the story if you want and go to the pictures here: https://picasaweb.google.com/1148566...niaRidge91011#

Last edited by mtruman; 09-24-2011 at 03:31 PM.
    Mark

Keep close to Nature's heart...
    and break clear away, once in awhile,
    and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods.
    Wash your spirit clean. - John Muir

Hiking photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/mtruman42
    Hiking Blog: http://theramblingsblog.blogspot.com/
    Seek the 2011 Peak page: Mark Truman's Pledge Page

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mtruman For This Useful Post:

Anna LeBlanc (10-04-2011), kendra4 (10-09-2011)

Thanks

All the pictures are great but I really love the ones from Greenleaf Hut and the ledges on the way down. What an incredible day!

Thanks for sharing!

Thanks

Great story about lessons learned from the mountains Mark! Super photos too. I hope by now your knee is feeling much better. Thanks for sharing.
    Bob

I never want to see a day
    That's over forty degrees
    I'd rather have it thirty,
    Twenty, ten, five and let it freeeeEEEEEEeeze!

My Seek the Peak 2014 Photo Set

Thanks

This was our 3rd or 4th hike ever last year. With that little of hiking experience and very out of shape, hiking Franconia Ridge was one hell of a challenge for me at the age of 55. My legs felt like rubber, by the time we reached the 1st summit (Little Haystack). I remember looking over and seeing Greenleaf Hut in the distance and thinking, "I can't wait to get over there and have an ice cream". Wrong on my part. I felt so bummed out when this was not possible and when the croo member told me that they only dish treats out to the people who stay overnight. This was my first hut visit so I didn't have a clue to what to expect there. It was so hot and humid and I was really looking forward to a summer treat. I do remember that it was great that I could fill my water jugs which was a big deal because it was a very hot and humid day. Franconia Ridge is one of my favorites but a very difficult trail for me.

Thanks

fabulous photos Mark!

Thanks

Yes fine trip report and finer photos, Mark! Nothing wrong with visiting old friends! Seems to me some of us visit a mountain northeast of this ridge over and over again! ; )

KDT

Thanks

Mark, please don't second guess yourself about posting your TR's and pictures. Me, personally, I read most everyone's and love them all so much. I have so much envy for where all of you are able to go, and all of the pictures just take my breath away sometimes.

I enjoyed this read so much, thank you for posting it.