Thread: Pumpelly Trail Mt. Monadnock search for Pumpelly Cave

Hybrid View

Thanks

Default Pumpelly Trail Mt. Monadnock search for Pumpelly Cave

Last Sunday I took a hike up Mt. Monadnock having climbed this mountain many, many times in all months of the year. My favorite trail up this mountain is the Pumpelly trail up which follows a long ridge with many exceptional views along the 4.5 mile route to the summit. I have recently read, and seen pictures on line (imagine that) of a man made shelter called Pumpelly cave, located along somewhere off the trail near the cascade link trail. Well I did some bushwhacking (always fun) and looking with no results. If any one has info to help me locate this on a future hike that would be great
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks

Nice photos! Especially like number 2 with the clouds below.
    Bob

I never want to see a day
    That's over forty degrees
    I'd rather have it thirty,
    Twenty, ten, five and let it freeeeEEEEEEeeze!

My Seek the Peak 2013 Photo Set

Thanks

Last year I also went to visit the cave with a friend of mine who knows where it is and has been to the cave many times. He has lived in Jaffrey his whole life and he knows that mountain like the back of his hand. Anyway we went to go look for the cave but due to the rainy weather the views where cloudy white all around us. My friend uses the views off the mountain to locate where to go off trail to access the cave. We ended up going off trail at the wrong spot, running into a dead end and the weather was turning for the worse so we headed off the mountain. I am planning to head back up in a few weeks with him on a clear day to find that cave and when I do I will hopefully report back with success!