Thread: Middlecast?

Thanks

Default Middlecast?

Is there a term for when it is both undercast and overcast? When you are on a summit or various place and there is a layer of clouds below you and also another layer above you. Does it matter if the lower layer is pretty much continuous fog?

Thanks

No term that I am aware of. Clouds above are overcast, under undercast and at our level, fog. If the layer below us is know to be fog, we call it PTCHY VLY FG_dir in the remarks. This reads as patchy valley fog and dir is the directions it is occuring. It is usually obvious to us whether or not it is fog or clouds below us based on the elevation that they are occurring. But at times, if we can't tell, we go with whichever one we believe it is based on weather conditions at the time of their formation. In this mornings scenario, which I assume is why this was raised, several stations were reporting fog as occuring, but since the clouds surrounding us below the station were obscuring the fog, we only called the cloud layer. Since we have webcams and ceilometers around the station, we could tell that there was a fog layer in addition to this cloud layer. While at times the fog and lower layer may be one, we call what we see. If it looks like clouds at 5300 feet, we call that layer rather than fog. Hope this helps clear things up a bit.
    Ryan Knapp
    Staff Meteorologist/Night Observer, KMWN (Mt Washington Obs., NH)

Thanks

I was just curious as I had these conditions on Sept 23 when I was on Mt. Monadnock last. I am sure the lower level was fog since it was so low that you were driving through it in some towns on the way there. You could see it moving through the valleys some, but it didn't really clear up very fast. It did make for an interesting hike being between two layers of clouds and being able to see hills poking up through the bottom layer. I'm still looking forward to hiking some day on a trully undercast day.

Getting close to tree line

Thanks

Default Nice!

Nice shot! Love those conditions!

KDT

Thanks

Tongue firmly in cheek here...... take this with a large grain of salt.

When folks present at the Auto Road to drive up, we very often describe these conditions as "a cloud sandwich"; quite a unique opportunity to experience weather on a vertical axis rather than just at ground level.

Breeze

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Breeze For This Useful Post:

Anna LeBlanc (10-23-2011)