Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tuckerman Ravine Trail

Thanks

Default Tuckerman Ravine Trail

We're planning on hiking up the trail to Tucks on Father's Day weekend. Will the trail be open? I've heard rumors that a large crevasse forms and the trail is closed in the ravine. What are the general conditions usually like on Father's Day Weekend on The Tuckerman Ravine Trail and the summit (we going to the summit and then down to Lakes)?
    5 Days 2007-2008

Thanks

Default Hiking the Mountain

Closed!

We no close mountains!

They are always open, but it is wise that you protect yourself. Heed my warning! the mountain is not big but the weather is what makes it difficult. I have been hiking the mountain for 30 + years (Some times volunteering for the summer humping emergency equipment for the AMC organization and then some times carrying people down who have injured themselves on the back trails.) and each time it has been a new and wonderful experience.

If it is going to be a beautiful and bright day, take a sweater (wool or polar fleece), light wind breaker, hat, glasses, rain jacket and an extra jacket at a minimum. Leave with your friends or with the base who you are and where you are going. This way if you do not come back at the right time they can start looking for you. The old adage says. “You are not missing if no one knows your gone missing.”

If you’re ready for the hike and you act smart. You should enjoy your hike and the people you are with.

God Bless,
    BigBird323

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bigbird323
    Closed!

We no close mountains!

They are always open, but it is wise that you protect yourself. Heed my warning! the mountain is not big but the weather is what makes it difficult. I have been hiking the mountain for 30 + years (Some times volunteering for the summer humping emergency equipment for the AMC organization and then some times carrying people down who have injured themselves on the back trails.) and each time it has been a new and wonderful experience.

If it is going to be a beautiful and bright day, take a sweater (wool or polar fleece), light wind breaker, hat, glasses, rain jacket and an extra jacket at a minimum. Leave with your friends or with the base who you are and where you are going. This way if you do not come back at the right time they can start looking for you. The old adage says. “You are not missing if no one knows your gone missing.”

If you’re ready for the hike and you act smart. You should enjoy your hike and the people you are with.

God Bless,
    BigBird323
    I've hiked the mountain several times, but thanks for the advice. I was more wondering about the safety of the trail in the Ravine itself. Is there icefall danger?
    5 Days 2007-2008

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by davidhowland14
    I was more wondering about the safety of the trail in the Ravine itself. Is there icefall danger?
    I think that's the main reason they close it. We ventured down to the Alpine Garden and across to Lion's Head from the Auto Road last year on June 12, and found the Tuckerman Ravine Trail still closed at that time. It may open a little earlier this year due to the lack of snowfall, but I would not bet on it.

I saw you asking about Huntington Ravine elsewhere on the forum. I've climbed it once, and I would not do it with a full pack. If I recall, there are a couple of scrambles that I would not care to attempt with 40 pounds hanging off my back.

For alternates, you could hike up Lions Head Trail and if you have time hike across the Alpine Garden Trail (you might be a week or so late for flowers, but worth a shot if you have some time to kill), and then head for the summit via the upper portion of the Huntington ravine trail. Conversely, you could take Boot Spur up from Pinkham and if you find yourself getting fatigued, there is a trail that crosses over to lakes of the Clouds, bypassing the summit.

Do yourself a favor and pick up the AMC White Mountain Guide, pretty much the source for white mountain trail descriptions. Well worth every penny, and comes with maps.

Hope this helps.
    Smitty

Thanks

already got the guide, but I'm just looking for some first person experience on conditions and openings. Thanks alot, though. we'll probably go up lions head.
    5 Days 2007-2008

Thanks

You should be all set then. Keep checking the web for updates on Tucks. Views From The Top has a trail conditions section that gets a lot of activity. Just another place for trail info.

I hope you have nice weather for Father's Day.
    Smitty

Thanks

thanks, That site looks great.
    5 Days 2007-2008

Thanks

For some updated info here's a link that should prove helpful

http://www.tuckerman.org/avalanche/index.html

Thanks

Or on our own web site at:
    http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/avalanche/

The "Latest USFS Avalanche Bulletin" link is available on the weather page in the Seasonal Links box (bottom right).

Thanks

geez, the ravine looks nasty and unsafe right now. I can't wait for next winter.
    5 Days 2007-2008